Methods for getting "Underway"

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Methods for getting "Underway"

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 09, 2004 8:45 am

This site is incredible.As a newbie,I have gleaned more information about the DS1 than I could have imagined. I am singlehanding in local lakes and reservoirs and would like some others to describe the steps they take in getting underway. Once I clear the dock I point the ds into the wind, with the tiller tied down, I walk to the front of the boat and hoist the sail and tie off. Then hurry back to the tiller. Once I'm settled in I let out the jib.
In gentle winds I can do this comfortably, what about the breezier days. Everyone has offered detailed instructions to stepping mast, trailering and soforth, but no methods are described for this critical manuver.

Dennis (dukelabatt-at-cs.com)

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 09, 2004 7:59 pm

I usually motor slowly into the wind while I hoist the mainsail. I have a Forespar tiller extension and a tiller lockbox installed to tend the boat while I'm at the mast. It's tough to keep the boat head to wind in heavy air or chop, though. When it's possible, I hoist my sails at the dock on days like these.

Vince (vdemperi-at-twcny.rr.com)

Postby Roger » Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:20 am

This departure/arrival checklist is likely more detail than you asked for or need, but since I have it laminated on a sheet in my boat, and often sail with newbies, I had it handy for you.

Pre-Departure Checklist:
Obtain weather forecast
Leave float plan
Seabag: Keys, bottled water, snack, GPS, jacket, extra socks, towel, swimtrunks, book & watch
Exterior check while on trailer
Holes or cracks in the hull
Motor secure on transom
Trailer winch secure
Remove hold down strap
Close self draining cockpit plug, cockpit plug & inner hull plug
Hitch boat trailer to tow vehicle & secure (ensure lights are disconnected for launching)
Raise and stow jack
Interior check while on trailer
Unlock companionway hatch & stow
Remove & secure rudder, & lift & secure blade
Look inside the cuddy cabin & lockers for gear that might be missing or might have shifted into a hazardous position, or broken
Flotation Devices One PFD required for each person on the boat or being towed, plus one throwable device.
Fire Extinguisher B-I type hand portable.
Sound Producing Devices whistle
Anchor, chain & rode secure
Adequate fuel & oil, shake container & open valve, secure fuel line to engine
Locate binoculars, charts, guidebook.
Remove compass cover, attach & reset GPS
Set up lines to eliminate any hassle while on the water
Remove sail cover
Mount fenders
Secure docking lines
Engine check while on trailer
Open engine hatch; check for water, oil, debris, fuel, rust or corrosion, wiring, connect & prime fuel line.
Raise and secure prop
Orientation while on trailer
For new crew; briefing of the boat, safety equipment; their role when leaving the dock.
At the dock
Don pfd
Back into water to fender tops of trailer
Release safety hook at boweye
Release winch hook & float boat off trailer with docking lines
Secure boat to dock, park vehicle
Check out in the bay to see what other boaters are doing & weather & water condition
If the breeze is stiff, reef in the sail at the dock
Is the waterline where it should be on the boat
Lower prop into water & turn on engine to warm up
Listen for unusual engine sounds.
Ensure exhaust is gurgling & spouting out water
Check for vibrations or rattles
Leaving the dock
Shove off, & reverse slowly to clear the dock, then motor out into the bay
Lower the centerboard & secure downhaul
Lower rudder blade
Stow fenders & docking lines
Loosen the halyards, & take the mainsheet out of the cleat
Turn head to wind
Hoist & trim sails, bear off & shut off & raise motor
Approaching the dock area
Lower motor into the water & start motor
Turn head to wind & lower & furl sails
Cleat and flake the mainsheet
Secure the halyards
Secure fenders & docking lines
Raise rudder blade
Raise the centerboard & secure uphaul
Motor to the dock
At the dock
Secure docking lines
Shut off engine and raise prop out of water and secure in raised position
Retrieve tow vehicle
Float boat onto trailer with docking lines, retrieve with winch hook
Secure safety hook at boweye
Center boat on trailer
Leave dock area
Open inner hull plug, cockpit plug, self draining cockpit plug
If trailering out of immediate area:
Recenter boat on trailer
Secure hold down strap
Remove and stow sails, lower and secure mast and boom
Lower motor
Connect and check trailer lights
Interior check
Stow docking lines
Stow fenders
Attach sail cover
Stow all lines
Replace compass cover, shut off and pocket GPS
Stow binoculars, charts, guidebook.
Close fuel tank vent, remove & stow fuel line from engine
Stow anchor, chain & rode
Remove & stow rudder,
Retrieve seabag: Keys, bottled water, snack, GPS, jacket, extra socks, towel, swimtrunks, book & watch
Close companion way hatch & lock
Exterior check at storage area
Remove from hitch and tilt trailer using jack, lock hitch
Post Arrival Check:
Close float plan
Roger

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 11, 2004 12:06 am

Geez, 90+ items on you list. You forgot one though; SAIL! What a dope.

Mike (mikemcdonald-at-mn.rr.com)

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 11, 2004 12:31 am

Wow what a list! Dennis, forget the list. Go have some fun. Rotate the boat to what ever direction is nearest to the wind, put up the jib or main or both, and push off. Leave the mainsheet slack while you raise your main and as long as the wind is abeam or forward, the mainsail will just luff off to the side.
Happy Sailing.

Collin Casey (gybe-it-at-houston.rr.com)

Postby Guest » Sat Jun 12, 2004 8:07 am

On a small boat like the DS, you can raise sail at the dock in most cases and that is the easiest way to go. Just let the main and jib run free until you can motor or push off the dock. Sometimes you can 'hang' off the dock with a line to accomodate wind direction, the DS being pretty light. If the wind is blowing you right on the dock, you'll have to motor out to a spot in the 'lee' of the wind: find a place sheltered by trees, a building, or bigger boat with plenty of 'sea room' downwind and raise Main first, then Jib. Make sure all your sheets can run free when raising sail.

Pete Tenerowicz (peteten-at-hotmail.com)

Postby Peter McMinn » Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:15 am

Denis,
Please clarify: "Once I clear the dock I point the ds into the wind, with the tiller tied down, I walk to the front of the boat and hoist the sail and tie off. Then hurry back to the tiller." This sounds a wee awkward. If in fact by "the front of the boat" you mean the forward section of the cockpit, that sounds more in keeping. Anyway, on my boat, I can raise/lower the jib on my own; with a decent tiller extension, I can easily reach from one position both halyards cleated on the cuddy.

I'm a river/lake sailer and wind direction varies, especially this time of year. I always raise sails before leaving the dock. This gives me boatspeed after relase for clearing other boats, docks, floats, etc. A good masthead directional lets me know how to position the boat before raising sails. When docked, I keep only the bow line tied to the dock so the boat swings freely into the wind, and I don't have of all the unneccesary sail chatter.

I agree that more discussion could occur around trailering, backing down a launch, etc. As for stepping the mast, a search of this site will reveal more than you want to know!

Cheers
Peter McMinn

Postby Guest » Sat Jun 19, 2004 7:43 am

Peter, I too have a tiller extension and the jib lines are within my reach when I sit forward in the cockpit.
Yes, I am walking to the front of the cockpit to raise sail. I appreciate everyone's input/method concerning getting underway. I am not certain where a tiller lockbox would be located? Gone to sail!!!!!!

Dennis (dukelabatt-at-cs.com)

Return to Day Sailer I Only