2 stroke info

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

2 stroke info

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 15, 2004 12:14 am

I'm searching for info about older 2 stroke outboards. I bought one in a garage sale that is in excellant condition but the label on the fuel tank says to use leaded gas only. Can I run this engine with unleaded and some kind of additive? The engine is a Sears 5.5 hp "Ted Williams" model.

Also, can I run this engine in salt water? One of the local repair guys says I can't. The other local guy says I can?

Can you recommend a talk forum where I can find out more about how to run this engine?

Thanks for you time and attention to my request.

PS the engine is going onto a CM21. Short shaft fits perfectly.

Sky Aisling
POB 1046 Port Townsend, WA 98368

Sky Aisling (aisling-at-rvi.net)

Postby Roger » Tue Jun 15, 2004 8:45 pm

I recently say a product in the local hardware section on outboard motor oils called a lead additive. This may be what you are looking for to add to your gas. As for the salt water use, you may want to at the very least run in in fresh water after each use in salt water.
Roger

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 17, 2004 4:09 pm

I bought a cheap trash can. When I get back from a sail, whether I've run the motor or not, I hose it off, take it off the boat and hang it (I keep it on a 2x8 hung between my deck uprights) and fit the trash can up around it. Then I set the trash can, in which the motor now sits, on a stand and fill the can with fresh water up above the cavitation plate. Then I run the motor for a while, making sure to turn off the gas and run the carburator dry.

I'm not all that familiar with outboards, either, but on my Mercury 4hp, I turn off the gas with a plastic valve. I also, at the same time, close the air vent on the built-in tank. If your gas tank isn't built-in, you would detach it to stop gas from flowing through.

Make sure your coolant water pump is working though this whole procedure (and while it's on the boat). I carry a straightened paper clip to use to clean the coolant water outlet if needed.

Bob Rowe (rowerw-at-comcast.net)

Postby Roger » Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:56 pm

My small engine repair guy tell me to use gas stabalizer instead of running the tank dry, as a more effective measure of preventing varnish buildup inside the carb. It also keeps the gas from going punk if stored more than a month. I can go a whole season on a gallon so will be trying this method this season.
Roger

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 24, 2004 10:40 pm

I can't think of any reason you'd need to use leaded gas in a 2-stroke motor. Maybe at the time the motor was made leaded gas was higher in octane then unleaded ("white" gas I think unleaded was once called). I've successfully used unleaded regular in a 56 5hp Johnson and 59 Scott-Atwater 5hp. Make sure the fuel/oil mix is correct and try to use gasolene w/o alcohol in it. There is a Antique Outboard Club website that might be able to answer your questions better...http://www.aomci.org/

steve (saabdrver-at-aol.com)

Return to Day Sailer I Only