deck to hull

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

deck to hull

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:12 pm

The deck of my DS 1 has come loose from the hull on both the port and starboard side towards the bow about 18" on both sides, this happened by cranking the boat onto the trailer using the cleat near the bow and leaving it secured like this through the winter. Will replace the missing U bolt but any suggestions on securing the deck to the hull in these two areas. Can't believe I brain cramped and did this ... experience is a great teacher. Greg

Greg Ciampa (gciampa-at-cox.net)

Postby Roger » Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:59 pm

The previous owner used the cleats in the same manner with the same result. While on the trailer, I jammed a 2x4 of the approximate right length under the upper part of the joint (the deck) then rested the bottom of the board on the ground, and proceeded to kick it with my toe gently to lever up the deck from the hull about a 1/2 inch. I then applied epoxy, removed the board, and clamped the hull/deck joint with a number of c-clamps. Worked great!

I also replaced the boweye.
Roger

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:59 am

I cleanedout old glue and reglued using 3M 5200. Works fine. I did add bolts at the bow to add strength

Dennis (Denmall-at-aol.com)

Return to Day Sailer I Only