refinishing centerboard and rudder

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

refinishing centerboard and rudder

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:28 am

The centerboard and rudder on my DS-1 are worn to the wood at the leading edge. Can I simply repaint these or should they be glassed and then painted. Also, what kind of paint is best and if glass is required, what is the process.

Michael Maynard (m.e.maynard-at-worldnet.att.net)

Postby Bob Hunkins » Thu Jul 15, 2004 3:25 pm

If you decide you want to get into working with fiberglass, it's probably best to get a book on the subject. It's not terribly complicated, but you would learn a lot more by buying or checking out a book. "This Old Boat" is a decent one, but is a general book on boat repair. Quitea bit is not applicable to the Day Sailer and other small sailboats. I recommend you go to your local book stores and libraries and see what they have.

If you need ot fix the boards quickly, you might consider using a product I've found works well forthis kind of thing. It's called Marine Tex. It's an epoxy based putty, comes in white or a dark gray color. You can shape it after it cures with files and sandpaper.
Bob Hunkins
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 20, 2004 1:28 pm

Thanks for the input Bob...sounds like the Marine Tex may be the way to go since the wood exposure is minimal. I also enjoy checking in on your site every now and then. Keep up the good work.

Michael Maynard (m.e.maynard-at-worldnet.att.net)

Return to Day Sailer I Only