Fiberglass questions from a new owner of an old Day Sailer

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Fiberglass questions from a new owner of an old Day Sailer

Postby Ben » Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:35 pm

The weather was nice last weekend so I went and bought a 1964 (?) Day Sailer. It generally looks in serviceable shape except for prominent symmetric horizontal cracks in the sides of the cowling. They start at the edge of the cockpit, are about 6 inches long, and the broken edges are displaced about 1/2 inch. It kind of looks like someone really big jumped on it. I will probably try to fix them with fiberglass and possibly some mending plates. Have you seen this sort of damage before? Any suggestions?

I am also a little concerned about the overall condition of the deck and hull. I grew up with a 1957 Cape Cod Mercury that has probably not missed a season since my dad bought it in about 1964. The deck and hull of the Merc are at least as rigid as the fender of a 1957 Buick. There is almost no give when you press hard anywhere. You can (and I have) jumped up and down on the deck, gunwales, anywhere without any creaks. I have heard that the old Merc was made before they realized how strong figerglass is and consequently it is overbuilt.

But, back to the Daysailer. When I press anywhere on the deck with two thumbs it gives a bit. The gunwales have a lot of flex to them. Finally, I was startled when I crawled into the cuddy to pull the plug on the bow flotation tank and I heard distinct crackling sounds under my knees. Do you think I should worry about it?

Thanks,

Ben
Ben

Save your DS1!

Postby Peter McMinn » Wed Mar 30, 2005 7:26 pm

This sounds like a bonified project boat. I'd check out the multiple discussions on this site about gelcoat crack repair, but espcially those having to do with replacing sections of deck and/or hull, which sounds like the direction you should pursue.

Post your progress along with questions and queries. Lot's of expertice here.

Best of luck!
Peter McMinn

Return to Day Sailer I Only