Mainsail fabric

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Mainsail fabric

Postby Dick Seiler » Sat Apr 23, 2005 6:43 pm

:?:
I am in the process of buying a new mainsail for my '67 Oday boat and I wonder if anyone can offer strong opinions on the pros and cons of getting a 3.5 oz. cruising sail versus the 4.5 oz fabric "racing" mainsail. I am not likely to go out in high winds and do not at this point intend to do much racing. I heard somewhere there is a distinct difference in handling the lighter sail. Are there disadvantages? If you are a "race or die" type of sailer, please identify your status so I can evaluate your comments properly. Yes, I know, I may change my mind in the future and turn into a racing fanatic. Any thoughts?
Dick Seiler

cloth weight

Postby Roger » Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:04 am

I am a cruiser. The lighter the cloth, the easier it is to get the right shape in light winds, but the faster it will stretch out of shape over time in heavier winds. My sails are quite old, but with proper storage, still have their original crispness and shape. The 3.5 oz is the standard weight for the measurement certificate. I always think of the resale ability of my DS II, and even though I don't race, I like to keep my boat and all of its equipment within the class rules. I then have the ability to sell quickly to a racer, or cruiser. You never know when you will be ready to move up to another boat, or when the opportunity will present itself!
Roger

Return to Day Sailer I Only