Issues With 1985 Spindrift DS1: Newbie

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Issues With 1985 Spindrift DS1: Newbie

Postby stevefromga » Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:42 am

I have just purchased a 1985 Spindrift DS1 in need of what I hope are minor repairs. They are:
- small dings in hull (cosmetic)
- a small crack around the base of the centerboard trunk - I do not think this is a deep crack and I noticed the same "feature" on other DS in the marina
- The automatic bailer appears to have been opened when the boat was trailered and is very slightly bent. It appears the previous owner has “worked” on it by adding caulk around the bailer where it enters the hull
- A crack (~10 inches long) in the fiberglass on the spine of the boat where the small piece of the mast (under the cuddy) meets the spine. This was previously epoxyed, but seems to have separated

OK…are these common issues? Which of these issues should concern me the most? Any suggested repairs techniques (especially concerned about the bailer & spine crack).

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. I do have photos if you are interested. :D
stevefromga

Spindrift DS1

Postby rnlivingston » Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:06 pm

I have a 1982 Spindrift DS1 so I am familiar with the boat. You have some glass work ahead of you. Dig out any large cracks, fill with epoxy and glass tape over them if necessary. Remove the bailer completely and check to see if it seals properly in the closed position. If it does, make a new rubber gasket for it and reinstall using silicon adhesive/caulking.

While non of the items you mentioned seemed critical, your boat has a balsa core and if water got in through the cracks, you might be little heavy.

Roger L.
DS 11538
rnlivingston

Postby Bob Damon » Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:14 pm

I wouldn't be to worried about the cb crack unless it is very wide. The crack on the mast step in the boat is an issue as there is significant load here. I recommend removing the mast heel from the area, sanding, use of fiberglass with West System epoxy, then for added strength place a piece of aluminum U channel (about a 12" length) over the mast step and re-install the mast heel. This will strengthen the area sufficiently. As for the bailer you should be able to remove it and replace it with a new one. Check Annapolis Performance Sailing (www.apsltd.com) or Layline (www.layline.com) for a replacement Anderson bailer. Good Luck. Bob Damon
Bob Damon
Class Measurer

Postby stevefromga » Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:36 am

Thanks for the suggestions. I had been considering the U channel idea over my repair. I was thinking stainless -- I suppose that aluminum would be easier to work with and do a good job of spreading any load from the mast.
stevefromga

Return to Day Sailer I Only