Broken Spreader

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Broken Spreader

Postby Mike M. » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:28 am

The port spreader broke off the mast yesterday in a heavy wind. Once I removed the rigging tape from the shroud, I discoverd it had been broken there before and repaired with stainless wire and then retaped, which has been working for some time apparently. I can put that back together and continue to sail until I can find a new spreader. The fasteners at the attachment point to the mast don't look like pop rivets. Other things appear to have been pop riveted to the mast though so would that work for the spreader or is it under too much pressure? Everything else is in good shape and could be put back together if I can find the right fasteners. Oklahoma CIty doesn't appear to have any sailboat repair places except for fiberglass work. Has anyone out there had any experience with something like this?

Mike
Mike Miller
DS I #3780
"Patty K"
Central Oklahoma
Mike M.

Broken Spreader

Postby Mike M. » Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:36 pm

Problem solved. Found a man in Oklahoma City who could fix the rivets (they were just stainless rivets).

Thanks anyway,
Mike Miller
DS I #3780
"Patty K"
Central Oklahoma
Mike M.

Return to Day Sailer I Only