Winter Project

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Winter Project

Postby Grady » Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:42 pm

I bought this boat two years ago and finally had time to fix it up. I used Interlux paint. the blue is perfection and the bottom is VC performance epoxy.
I am probably 80% done but will not finish the inside until later. here are some pictures of the progress.

Grady

Postby calden » Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:19 pm

Very nice work. Looks great. I love the light on the prow.

Carlos
DS I #1653
calden

Postby trial1 » Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:23 am

That looks really nice - it gives me motivation to press on with the restoration of my boat.

Do you have a total cost for pant?
trial1

stripping versus sanding

Postby Peter McMinn » Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:28 pm

Nice job, Grady.

Mine's bottom up in the garage right now, too. Just wet-sanding, tho.

Have refinished my board a few times, but I'm interested in taking some thickness out--it's a little too tight in the well. Sanding is what I planned on, but considering using a stripper.

Question: if you used a stripping compound to take off the finish on your board, what did you use so as not to degrade the fb resin?
Peter McMinn

Postby Grady » Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:08 pm

As for the price I don't want to know. It took me 3 quarts of perfection royal blue, two quart kits of VC performance epoxy, and one quart of white jet glow I had lying around.

I did not use paint stripper just a 6 inch air palm sander and 80 grit to remove previous bottom paint then 120 everywhere then a coupple coats of paint then 220 anoter coat then hand sanded with 320 and a gloss coat.

I put about seven coats of epoxy on the center board and rudder.
Grady

Refinish

Postby captainseasick » Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:06 am

Your project looks great!
I started on my 1975 O'Day Daysailer this fall. Unfortunately, my digital camera is not currently working, and now the boat is under cover, so pictures will have to wait till the spring. My daysailer was a derelict, that was headed to the dump when i rescued it. Someone had flipped it over and all the weight came down on the cuddy, cracking it in two places. It had been scratched, and badly repaired along the bow, where it had apparently been allowed to bang against a dock. The centerboard lanyards were broken, and the up hall, downhaul system was missing. The centerboard, and the bottom was gouged and ruined by the use of a grinder to prep the bottom for its original bottom paint. It looked like a broom had been used as a paint brush to put on the many coats of flaking bottom paint. The entire boat was filthy and large chunks were missing from multiple places along the gunnel. The mast was filthy and stained & ugly anodized gold, all the blocks were frozen, and the boom was missing. The sails were in pathetic condition, and did not appear to be white! The interior of the cuddy was a mixture of flaking and checker-boarding finish of indescribable color, The hardware was either stuck, broken or missing.
This boat has been steadily improving to the point that my neighbors have all been astonished at the transformation.
This boat has been upgraded to the point where I think it is almost equal to, and in some respects, superior to the new Cape Cod Shipbuilding Daysailers costing $14,000! The project has not been exactly cheap, as new sails cost $1400, and new hardware , and materials have cost at least another $700! I think the results will be worth it to have a "NEW" looking 1975 Daysailer that has been upgraded with the state of the art hardware & sails.
Sailboats, not only need money to be maintained properly, they need some determination (if they have fallen into this state) that leads to knowledge , and finally ....yes...LOVE I have had lots of fun saving this lovely old boat from the scrap heap, and I look foreward to the start of its new life as a race boat!
Mike
Michael D. Schreibman
captainseasick

Plans for transom well cover

Postby SaltLakeSailer » Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:42 pm

Can you provide a drawing or plans for the transom well cover? I am a new owner of a retsored 1967 Daysailer and would like to "bring 'er back."

Thanks,

Ray
SaltLakeSailer

Postby Bob Hunkins » Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:20 am

Very Pretty! Good work!
Bob Hunkins
#11750, "Surprise"
San Leon, Texas
Bob Hunkins
Site Admin

Postby Grady » Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:01 pm

I Did not work of plans or drawings, but here is a coupple of pictures so you can get the idea. I used some planks from the boat shop and just fit them by hand. I put the lower rails too far in the first time you can see the extra holes. once I moved them to the edge the cover fits flush.

Thanks for the complements. I was amazed how well the paint comes out when you use the roller and brush method. this was my first attempt at it.
Grady

Inspiration!

Postby AllDaySailer » Thu May 11, 2006 10:24 pm

:shock: :lol: :shock:

Great work Grady! I've checked out your pics probably 6 times in the past two days!!! Do I have any hope for getting this kind of result without the benefit of a garage??? My DS1 is in need of a little cosmetic help. Alas, this years improvments may be in the bouyancy department...

Again, great job...
AllDaySailer

Postby Grady » Sat May 13, 2006 9:04 am

AllDaySailer, yes you can get a good job without a garage. You will just have to be carefull when you paint because of the weather. You will need a nice calm morning to paint.
Grady

Return to Day Sailer I Only