New Owner show and tell

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

New Owner show and tell

Postby Donal » Wed May 31, 2006 4:31 am

:D I finally decided to sign up and do some show & tell. I saw this DSI about a year and a half ago, then figured out I knew the guy whose house it was at. He was actually renting the house & his father-in-law owned the boat. At that time he named a price that was out of my budget.
After driving by it several times last year, I decided to track down the owner again. While playing phone tag with him, I noticed the boat had been moved from where it was. By chance, I found it parked in someone elses driveway and called the owner as soon as possible. He went out to the house and basically recovered his property. After that, I named a price, he accepted, so now she's mine.
Here's some pics I took this evening with my sons popping their heads up throught the hatches: http://community.webshots.com/myphotos? ... ity=LxFZWo
I bought her last quarter of 2005, so didn't get to do much except store her at my grandpa's house. I was planning to take a shake-down cruise at a lake close by over Memorial Weekend, but ended up spending the weekend doing cleaning & minor repairs. This coming weekend will be a camping trip at another lake we visit every June.
I don't plan to do any restoration per se, just necessary repairs & maintenance to be able to spend some time sailing, no racing in the foreseeable future. I am told she was raced at Huntington Lake here in central Cal, so if anyone remembers Sail# 1970, I would be interested in more of her history.
I actually have limited sailing experience, having been out a few times with my brother on his Prindle 19 catamaran. I'm looking forward to learning more with this boat.
-Donal

1965 Daysailer I #1970
Donal

Postby calden » Wed May 31, 2006 9:58 am

Welcome to the forum. I joined last fall when I bought a DSI.
[thumb=271]
I've sailed only twice, this year, because it needed some work and was just too late in the season to sail last fall, at least where I live up near Canada in Washington State.

Mine is about the same vintage as yours, a little earlier. I really like the color and that hatch. This is the first DS I've seen with a hatch. Really great idea, but I wonder if it compromises the structural integrity of the deck.

When I bought this boat I researched many small sailboats and am very glad I bought this. It is very trailerable, and I can get it in the water in 30 minutes after parking.

Going out today!

Carlos
DS I #1653
calden

Postby Donal » Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:17 am

Thanks for the reply, Carlos.
I finally got to sail her last weekend at Hume Lake CA.
http://community.webshots.com/photo/550 ... 0303yBeWbT
She felt & looked good in the water, but I have a few questions: My centerboard handle does leak, with an irregular drip. I'll check the other posts for answers to that problem.
When we went to attach the boom to the mast, the first time I pinned it to the part that was in the slide rail.
http://community.webshots.com/photo/550 ... 0303emRqJy
I realized this was incorrect when the manual said to pin the front of the sail to the boom.......we must have a part missing......I've already cleaned out the whole boat, it might be in the box I put everything in.....No, not there......My brother finally found it in one of the storage areas, and we were in business. But, I'm real sure we didn't have it properly secured, because when I went to let the mainsail down, the boom slid right down and off the mast. So, is something still missing?
http://community.webshots.com/photo/550 ... 0303UPRHCP
I have more questions, including how the jib was rigged, but it's too late tonight.
-Donal

1965 Daysailer I #1970
Donal

Postby sunapeesailor » Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:44 am

Hey Donal -

I joined in May when I picked up my 1966 model DS1 and just went through this myself. The gooseneck on your boom is broken and has been jury-rigged to work. The sail holds your boom up and the gooseneck seems to be okay that way, but it is not secure and can come loose from the sailtrack; not necessarily dangerous, but you could tear the sail at the tack as a result. Yours might be repairable with just a stainless steel spring, retainer washer and cotter pin, but the new gooseneck has a tack pin that locks and does not fall out!

Ordered a new gooseneck from Rudy at D&R Marine and loosely followed the pics from Sailing Texas website for replacing gooseneck on Flying Scot. (see links below) I did not need to use a grinder to remove the rivets. I simply drilled out the drive pin in the rivets and used a chisel to "lop" off the heads (I did not ruin the chisel...the drive rivets are aluminum) I fitted the new goosenck into the boom, then drilled and tapped holes with 5/16" threads in the gooseneck and attached using 3 3/4"x5/16" stainless steel round head bolts with lock and flat washers. Worked great and took me a total of about 45 minutes. I will try and post pics later--more rain this week!

As for the centerboard area leak, by loosening the 3 bolts that hold the cover here and moving the centerboard handle out 1/4", you can apply silicone grease (dielectric grease from auto parts store is perfect--clean, clear and seals great) to the area between the washer and the centerboard trunk. That, coupled with tightening of the 3 bolts there should solve your issue. I put a bit of grease in each of the bolt holes as well. (Note to self--there is nothing supporting the centerboard if you remove the handle and it will fall to the ground--or to the bottom of the lake--if there is nothing in the way--I now have a 1"x3" placed crosswise on the trailer to prevent such an occurence when doing this) Rudy has replacement washers available as well...I got a couple to have as spares! Got out for the shakedown last Saturday and got the wife and kids out last Sunday--these really are great boats!

[thumb=260] [thumb=261]

http://www.drmarine.com/categories.asp?cat=64
http://www.sailingtexas.com/chowtoscotgooseneck.html
"If you make no time for yourself, who then, are you making time for?"

Tidewater, VA
1971, 'er, 1966 O'Day DaySailer 1
sunapeesailor

Postby Donal » Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:35 am

Thanks for the advice Bob. I am in the process of repairing my gooseneck, just went & bought some stainless(mostly) hardware at OSH this evening. I plan to tap the end of the shaft, where a hole has already been drilled, then use a bolt with a fender washer to hold the spring in place. My boom end cap was held in place by self-tapping screws, I will replace those with 10-32 stainless machine screws after tapping the holes. I'm not sure that the part from DR Marine would work, as it looks different from what I have.
http://community.webshots.com/photo/550 ... 0303nggmUH

As for the hatches on my boat, they look like they were professionally installed, though the hinges will need to be replaced with stainless items.Image

Carlos had an earlier post in which he was asking about his Jib rigging. http://forum.daysailer.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1575
When I first went out, I had no real way to trim the jib, so I just ran the sheet around the mast, around the bollard on my deck, then through a couple cleats. The next day, I turned around 2 of the pulleys at the outer edge of the deck & the 2 cleats just inboard of those. This allowed me to trim the jib, I'm sure in a most amateur way.
See my Webshots gallery: http://community.webshots.com/myphotos? ... ity=LxFZWo
I do not have any cleats on the C/B trunk as originally designed.
-Donal

1965 Daysailer I #1970
Donal

Postby Donal » Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:36 am

Iguess I don't have the art of posting pictures down yet. Just go to my personal gallery for the hatch pictures.
-Donal

1965 Daysailer I #1970
Donal

Postby sunapeesailor » Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:05 am

Hey Donal -

I don't think you need to tap the end of the shaft...a fender washer held in place by a stainless cotter pin should be fine as the spring provides constant tension against the washer. (saves you a bit of work).
The other item that you might consider is that your current setup does not have a way to attach a downhaul...maybe you could add a stainless eye to yours? Just a thought...happy sailing!
"If you make no time for yourself, who then, are you making time for?"

Tidewater, VA
1971, 'er, 1966 O'Day DaySailer 1
sunapeesailor

jib sheets rigged ok

Postby Roger » Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:48 pm

I think you got your jib sheets rigged correctly. Some Daysailers have a turning block (pulley) on the edge of the cuddy roof, and a cam cleat closer to the center, as opposed to jib tracks on the inside of the coaming. Remember to run your seets inside the shrouds, and to tie a figure of eight knot in the bitter end of the sheet.
Roger

Show and Tell

Postby pete » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:58 am

Show an Tell

Elna on her mooring at Dartmouth, Brought boat this year using through summer then will carry out inprovments in the winter.

The only thing I’m unsure of is the rig tension, have read some post's but still would wecombe advice.

Pete
pete

Postby calden » Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:19 pm

Pete:

Nice boat. Mine's the reverse - blue deck and seats, and white topsides and hull.

Here's a good guide on tuning the rigging:

http://www.northsailsod.com/class/daysa ... uning.html

It includes some ideas about rig tension. Helped me a lot when I was getting the new rigging on and needed to adjust the turnbuckles appropriately.

Carlos
DS I #1653
calden

Return to Day Sailer I Only