Cockpit Wood Needs Replacing

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Cockpit Wood Needs Replacing

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 15, 1999 12:00 am

My Spindrift DS that was recently given to me needs new cockpit side rails (do not know the sailing jargon for these). No amount of sanding or staining will bring these back to life. Are they functional or just pretty. If the general consensus is that I should replace them, what material should I use?

Scott Barron (sbarron-at-pol.net)

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 16, 1999 12:00 am

The correct term is combings. On a Spindrift, these board are mainly decorative. In fact, according to class rules, they can be completely removed on Rebel and Spindrift DS1's and you will still be class legal for racing. This is not true of the O'Day DS1's as the combings are considered structurally necessary in that design. That said, I still wouldn't remove them as I think the boat would look bad w/o them. Have you tried all the teak restoration products available? I bet your original combings can be salvaged, if not, I would replace them w/ teak. I have seen mahogoney used on the early plank seat DS1's from O'Day. These look good, but I'm not sure if they last as well as teak around the water.

Kevin Clark
DS 11791 (a Spindrift DS1)

Kevin Clark (clarkr-at-aud.alcatel.com)

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 17, 1999 12:00 am

Scott,

I agree with Kevin, your boat will look great if you clean those combings. When I purchased my Spindrift DS about 2 years ago, the wood was ugly at best. I used a teak cleaning product called "TE-KA". The cleaning involves a two part process. I was amazed at the years of grunge that came out. Be aware, however that old (decayed) wood is also removed leaving a textured affect on the wood. Be sure to seal the teak properly after it has been treated and dried. I often receive compliments on the overall appearence of the teak trim in my boat.

TE-KA is a product of Travaco Industries. The parent company listed on my bottles is ITW Philadelphia Resins, Montgomeryville, PA 18936.

Good Luck.

Steve Schriber

Steve Schriber (sschriber-at-spa.net)

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 20, 1999 12:00 am

I have a DS I Sail #378, and my father has DS I #12603. My seats are teak and the Combing cedar. I sanded all, and was happy with my efforts. But I used a 2 part cleaner on the teak flooring and it came out great and took only minutes. I'm using teak oil for the finishing. I think you'll be surprised and the wood makes the boats look beautiful.

Also, on my father's boat has the fiberglass seats and the combings where removed in an effort to save some wieght. Over time stress fractures started form and we are in the process of repairing and replacing the combings. Just a word of caution for you older O'Day owners.

Rob Reeves (Robr1011-at-ev1.net)

Postby Guest » Sat Nov 27, 1999 1:00 am

I have a 1957-1960 Oday Daysailor. I am unsure of the hull number because there was no hull numbers were required at the time of its manufacture. I have Mohogany seats and combings. They had a 15 layers of sper varnish on them and that is probably what saved them after being in a mud puddle for five years. The seats, combing, boom crutch, and rudder are all of mahogany. If you decide to do mahogany you will not be disappointed. It is easy to work with, less expensive than teak, and it has lasted forty years on my boat and it was only varnished. With things like West System epoxy to seal the wood, it should last forever, or somewhere close to that. Good luck and let us know what you chose and how it worked.

Eric Nelson (daysailor17-at-hotmail.com)

Postby Guest » Wed Dec 01, 1999 1:00 am

I agree with the others- that if you can, salvage your old teak combings. 1. If they are original, it'll be neat to keep them. 2, teak is so expensive, that you can't afford to chunk them! If you have to replace them, save the salvageable pieces. You have to pay a small fortune for a 4x12x1/2 small piece at West or BoatUS. Send them to ME!
All kidding aside, I'm still refinishing the teak with varnish on my DS & when finished it'll look really nice. looks good already with one coat of varnish.

lynn larremore (elynn1141-at-aol.com)

Postby Guest » Wed Dec 06, 2000 2:04 pm

I "misplaced" my wood combings for my Day Sailer I about ten years ago. The boat for many reasons has been sitting on a trailer since. I hope to put her in the water next summer, but I know that I need to replace those combings. Anybody have the dimensions, patterns, or designs to the original combings. If not, I am sure I can fudge it, but I'd rather not since they are structural. Thanks -- Auke

Auke Piersma (aukeauke-at-netscape.net)

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 10, 2000 10:28 pm

My dictionary lists the name for these as "coaming". Howevber it seems combing is also frequently used.

Bob Torson DS 4000 (safehbr-at-pioneer.net)

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:48 pm

Definitely "coaming" is the right spelling. I've never seen "combing" before these messages.

Burt Bryan (bbbryan1-at-earthlink.net)

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:06 am

So . . . could someone with nice, authentic COAMING supply some nice photos and/or drawings of them?

Thanks In Advance, Tom - DS 11478

Tom - DS 11478 (tgc357-at-juno.com)

Return to Day Sailer I Only