DS 1 ? Sailhandling

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

DS 1 ? Sailhandling

Postby barmmer » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:30 pm

I have a DS 1, I think Hull #65xx I can't remember the rest. It isn't in great shape though she sails ok. I have a question about sail handling and control. The boat looks to be a little different than some of the boats pictured on this forum. The most annoying Item is the lack of cam cleats on the main sheet. It is riggged with a 3:1 ratio starting at the end of the boom, down around the traveler, back to the end of the boom , to a mid boom block, this is much like most of the boats pictured, the difference being that there is not block or cam cleat on the centerboard housing, there is just a simple horn cleat screwed in to the end of the housing. My boat doesn't have round pedestal that most boats blocks are screwed into. Also there is one other horn clean further up the housing for the jib sheets. Is there a block and cleat I can replace the aft horn cleat with that doesn't require major surgery to the housing? If so what is the brand / models I should look at.
Another difference my boat has is a single steel wire for the traveler, which disappears into nicely molded bosses on either side of the dear deck. Did most people replace the wire with rope, or was it changed in other revision of the Daysailer..

Thanks For your Help

Brian
barmmer

Postby Baysailer » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:35 pm

Brian,

There's a pretty good and affordable swivel available from Garhauer that will cure your woes. I saw it at:

http://mauriprosailing.com/Merchant2/me ... ode=GARCLE

You'll also need a single block for it, but for $50 or so your in business.

Note: this is a fairly new item for garhauer and D&R also resells Garhauer so you may be able to contact Rudy and see if he can offer the same since he also sells DS items.

Fred
Baysailer

Postby Rolias » Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:47 pm

Finally! I also had the same set up on my DS1 #769. I also have no shelves under the cuddy and my CB housing does not have any "thwarts" holding it from moving laterally. It was a bold move but I took an open "Y" shaped piece (sailing vocab leaving me) like you would use to mount the block for a downhaul to the boom and screwed it into the aft part of the CB housing with Harken 4-1 swivel. I have not had any problems, but have never felt real comfortable in a blow. I would feel much more secure with a traveler accross the seats but a) didn't want to do major surgery and b) didn't want to create any "knee bangers". I primarily cruise around our 3600 acre lake and can avoid big blows so I feel pretty safe. I would not try to race seriously or really take on a blow with this arrangement.
Rolias

I have an extra swivel cleat that may work for you

Postby Roger » Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:26 pm

A picture of it is available here. I got not action at this price, so let me know if you are interested. (roger02@mts.net)

http://www.pycmb.ca/sale.htm
Roger

DS 1 ? Sailhandling

Postby barmmer » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:25 am

Baysailer - That looks like it will do the trick, except I don't have the little platform on the CB housing to screw it to

Roger -I'm not sure what you are trying to sell....but the link doesn't work.
barmmer

link now works

Postby Roger » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:07 am

The link is working now. It was to a swivel cam cleat for the top of the cb trunk for your daysailer. I have an extra one as I had put on a traveller, and it had its own swivel cam cleat.

If you are interested let me know. The link was to the ad of our local yacht club where I had it posted in the for sale section.
Roger

Return to Day Sailer I Only