DS mast

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

DS mast

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 25, 2000 12:00 am

I am helping a friend re-new her old DS1. Hull number 20258. Anybody know how old it is?
Should there be a gasket of some kind in the hole in the deck where the mast passes through? It seems while the boat is at anchor, which it always is, the mast wiggles with the chop and the motion works the forward screw of the mast step. the screw works out of the hole and this makes the mast very unstable. Should the shrouds be tightened? How snug?

mike (mgreen-at-gdsys.net)

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 26, 2000 12:00 am

First, the number you gave is the O'Day Hull#, there is
also a "CLASS#" and that will help determine the age of the boat. As a guess, the boat was built in the late 1960's.

As far as the mast, the shrouds and forestay should be tightened just enough to hold the mast in a centered position. For best advice, check out the Day Sailer Assoc. website, www.daysailer.org there is a tuning guide there and it should help. The mast really should not be moving when the boat rocks.

Rod Johnson (rjohnson24-at-juno.com)

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 10, 2004 9:08 pm

I'm still trying to find out what kind of mast I have so that I can order a set of sails for my DS1 # 2823 is on old sails and inside of boat. It is a 1967 model with a straight mast no taper.

ray (kdenny-at-mesh.net)

Postby Roger » Wed Feb 11, 2004 12:38 am

http://www.drmarine.com/html/daysailer.asp

This is the source for original DS parts, or you can also try Dwyer masts at their site listed on the home page above under parts and accessories. Here is their direct link http://www.dwyermast.com/

You may have to measure the size and compare the shape of the mast step if you do not have the old mast.
Roger

Return to Day Sailer I Only