O'Day O'Spray

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

O'Day O'Spray

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 26, 2000 12:00 am

My Girlfriend and I just bought a O'day O'spray and we were woundering if anyone has heard of this model and how old it might be?
Thanks

Steve Becker (Regpin-at-aol.com)

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 26, 2000 12:00 am

Steve, I think maybe that'd be an O'Day Osprey (16'). I can't seem to find any info on it, but I think that was the class name of the boat.

Eric (hiquk9s-at-netins.net)

Postby Guest » Tue Dec 05, 2000 2:52 pm

It is an Osprey, as in the fish hawk.

I have some sailing magazines and books with these on the cover that date back to late 50's early 60's. I don't know if this is a help. I would like to know between what years they were made. we have one in the area owned by Kevin O'Neal kmoneil@fspa.org

Ted Sojka (ted_sojka-at-decorah.k12.ia.ua)

Postby Guest » Sat Dec 09, 2000 4:50 pm

The 15' 10" O'Day Osprey was built during the mid to late 1960's. I remember seeing it listed in an old
1967 YACHTING Magazine that my Dad used to have. It was a sort-of smaller version of the DS I. It was very similar to a boat my Dad had called a Beetle FALCON (15' 9") and the Paceship PEREGRINE (15' 7") The hulls of these three boats were so similar (despite the published LOA differences) that I have often wondered if they were "splashed" from the same mold. The decks were different, but not remarkably. Main difference is the cuddy shape, the Falcon had a small rectangluar cuddy, the Osprey had one about the same size...but with a higher arch to the top, and the Peregrine had a cuddy that was a sort-of bubble shape. The Peregrine also had a molded in cockpit more like a DS II.

Rod Johnson (rjohnson24-at-juno.com)

Postby Guest » Mon May 17, 2004 1:15 pm

Funny thing is, this boat name is misspelled often. My Ospray really is spelled with an "a", despite any relationship to the fish-eating bird, osprey.

Mine is a 1965. Old, but fun. :)

Rebekah (rstarling-at-austin.rr.com)

Postby Guest » Wed May 19, 2004 1:29 am

I'm trying to determine the year my Ospray was built. the hull# is 5254 and the class # is 348.
Anyone out there with numbers close to mine that know the year there O'day was built?

Rick Cutcliffe (pinnacle_bps-at-msn.com)

Postby Guest » Wed May 19, 2004 8:44 am

Mine's Hull 5246, Class 330 and built in 1965, so yours is close.

Don't suppose yours has the DS1-type handle mechanism for the centerboard, does it? I still haven't found a hole to place that pin through for when the centerboard is up. :(

Rebekah (rstarling-at-austin.rr.com)

Postby Guest » Wed May 19, 2004 11:43 pm

Yes mine does have the DS1-type handle mechanism but I don't see any kind of a pin set up in it. I'll have to look at it more closely. I did notice however that the previous owner placed a 4x4 across the bed of the trailer to hold the center board up in place while it's on the trailer.I'll let you know what I discover when I lift it off as I continue with her restoration.

Postby Guest » Thu May 20, 2004 12:06 am

I wanted to thank you for helping me get a better idea on the age of my Ospray. I was beginning to think I was the only one in the world with this boat . It's comforting to know I'm not alone. Maybe if more Ospray owners let us know thier out there we can start our own association so we don't piss off all the DS owners by using thier message board :)

MY OsprAy!

Postby John Gibbins » Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:17 pm

Wow, I had given up on finding other OsprAy owners! I inherrited an almost complete boat several years ago. It is missing the centerboard and mechanism that raises and lowers it. I would really like to hear from someone who has one who could send me some photos of how exactly the centerboard handle and mechanism works. I woll gladly pay for film/processing or will send you a disposable camera with prepaid postage if you will photograph yours for me. Is it the same size and set-up as the O'Day Daysailer??? Mine needs major restoration work, and I am anxious to start on it, but have been kindof waiting to see if any other OsprAy owners ever showed up! Please feel free to e-mail me at john.gibbins@uniontrib.com. Thanks!
John
John Gibbins

Return to Day Sailer I Only