Hull lost in Hurricane Ike

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Hull lost in Hurricane Ike

Postby Bob Hunkins » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:36 am

I was working on a DS I hull until Hurricane Ike swept it away. :( It was in my garage, upside down on sawhorses. The flood waters rose, ripped the doors off the garage, swept a car into the garage which was battered by the boat hull. The boat disappeared, presumably it floated away upside down.

Description:
Seafoam green deck, white hull, black boot stripe. No ID number except for a stamped serial number just under the hull to deck joint on the starboard bow. IT was a number in the low 10,000's, but I don't recall it exactly. Probably has maroon scuff marks on the hull from the contact it had with the car.

The inside was reinforced with klegecell and fiberglass, which was still unpainted. The thwarts and combings were removed.
Some brownish colored fairing compound was on the exterior hull.
The forward seat tank had an inspection port installed.

If someone happens to find this boat washed up along the Gulf Coast (or the anywhere), somehow, someday, and she's relatively intact, I would like to have her back. I've searched the local area and even looked through some post storm aerial photos to see of any likely shapes, but no luck. Of course it's an extreme longshot. I doubt I'll see her again, but it's worth noting the loss.
Bob Hunkins
#11750, "Surprise"
San Leon, Texas
Bob Hunkins
Site Admin

Return to Day Sailer I Only