Gooseneck

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Gooseneck

Postby rnlivingston » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:30 am

My new North Sailes are set up to use a fixed gooseneck. There is no way to attach the tack to the sail, so I either have to install a grommet and keep my sliding gooseneck or convert to a fixed one.

My question is, are there any serious racers using the fixed gooseneck?
Pros and cons?

Roger Livingston
DS 6872
rnlivingston

Postby Mike Gillum » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:24 am

Roger,
Are you sure that your new North Main doesn't have a tack slug in place of the Tack Grommet?
The tack slug slides into the back side of the mast and allows you to fully hoist the main halyard while using the Cunningham to adjust the luff and draft without stretching the luff between the head and tack with the main halyard.
Mike Gillum

gooseneck

Postby rnlivingston » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:05 pm

Mike

Yes, it does have the slug, but the boom still needs to be attached to the mast in a fixed position. North's tuning guide for the Daysailer has a picture of the setup.

Roger
rnlivingston

Postby Mike Gillum » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:40 pm

Roger,
All of us that race in California have a fixed gooseneck location.
I used a pair of small Schaefer SC8101 Stainless Steel Rudder Gudgeons top and bottom of my existing SS universal that slides into the butt end of my Ballenger Boom.
If you're concerned about possible deformation under load, don't be as it's the same exact assembly that we've used for decades in the Thistle Class and we have considerably more load vang-sheeting a Thistle Main!
Your sliding gooseneck can be retrofitted using the same SS Rudder Gudgeons.
The SS Rudder Gudgeons need to be shaped to the backside of the mast and fastened using SS Pop-Rivets.
Tricky part is how to attach your existing SS universal between the new SS Rudder Gudgeons.
A properly sized Fast-Pin or a SS Bolt with SS Wing-Nut would allow you to easily and quickly remove your Boom from the Mast before and after sailing.
I can e-mail you a photograph of my set-up. Mike
Mike Gillum

gooseneck

Postby rnlivingston » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:00 pm

Hi Mike

Thanks for the information. I would like to see pictures of your rig. You can send them to me at rnlivingston@tccsecure.com.

Roger
rnlivingston

Postby K.C. Walker » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:31 pm

Hey Mike,

Once again, I'm over at APS buying hardware. Thank you so much for this solution to the fixed gooseneck conversion! While you're digging up that photo, I would like to have a copy myself kim@walkerguitars.com .

Thanks!
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby GreenLake » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:26 pm

How about posting it here? Either directly, or perhaps, as before, with the vang setup, via K.C?
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

photos from Mike

Postby K.C. Walker » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:57 am

Here are photos from Mike of his gooseneck/gudgeon set up.
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

gooseneck

Postby rnlivingston » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:33 am

I got the boom gooseneck anchored to the mast yesterday. I found a bracket off a Spindrift DS 1 in my boat parts collection which worked quite well after some bending. I then used a hook with a line down to the former downhual cam cleat for the cunningham.

The new sails set nice with this setup. I took two first places in the club races yesterday in very light air.

Roger Livingston
rnlivingston

Return to Day Sailer I Only