DS1 Boom and mainsheet question.

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

DS1 Boom and mainsheet question.

Postby darts » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:31 am

Greetings All,

I am about to take my DS1 out on its maiden voyage. But as a newbie to sailing a DS1 I have a few quick questions, and advice would be appreciated!!

Question 1: I have been looking over the O'day manual from 1966. The section that talks about attaching the mainsheet line in very short. It says how to run the "free" end of the mainsheet line through the blocks and cleat, but it does not mention how to initiallly tie or attach the first part of the mainsheet line to the boom? Forgive me ignorance as I am very green. But any ideas on how to do this would be much appreciated.

Question 2: I've noticed most sailboats while docked, have their mainsail tied down and covered onto the boom. Could anyone suggest how I may do this on my DS1. From what I see, I must have the mainsail fully hoisted in order to raise the boom up from lying in the cockpit. I would love to learn how or if I can keep the mainsail left on the boom and tied down while it is docked, so that I may easily raise it, as well as use the hoisted boom to tent a tarp over the cockpit in hopes of keeping it dry since my DS1 does not have a self bailer, leaving me a pretty messy clean up job whenever it rains.

Any advice? Thanks for your time, and happy sailing everyone!

Dave Art
darts

Re: DS1 Boom and mainsheet question.

Postby GreenLake » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:47 am

Your question 1: how to attach the mainsheet.

From the picture you posted in the thread Roller furling questions..., I think I can (barely) see how you mainsheet is configured and it appears it's pretty much the factory original, so it's reasonably similar to my setup.

The block at the end of the boom should have a becket (the little bit with a pin across that hangs down the lowest and to which a line can be attached with a knot).

Here's a photo from my boat.
Because of the perspective, you can't see the becket too well, so here is another photo.
(Click on them for a larger view).

You can use any number of knots to tie the mainsheet to that becket. You could use a bowline knot, two half hitches, a buntline hitch or a halyard hitch. If there's any on that list that you already know how to tie, just use that one. If not, look them up online - there are many excellent websites that give instructions - even Wikipedia has a decent listing of various knots.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby GreenLake » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:58 am

Question 2: how to keep the boom level, when the sail is off.

You have three options:

1) build a boom crutch (usually an X from two 1"x4") to place under the boom and hold it up

2) use the main halyard. Lower the sail, disconnect the shackle from the sail and connect it to the end of the boom. Raise until boom is horizontal. Then use the main sheet to limit the swing of the boom.

3) fix a "topping lift". Basically, it's a dedicated line that you use only when you want to hold up the boom. There are several design options, which you can find by searching this forum.

I recommend option 2 for your immediate needs. It doesn't require any special preparation and other than the small inconvenience of having to lower the boom temporarily while you transfer the halyard to the end, it works just as well as item 3.

As delivered from the factory, the paddle could be inserted in a slot in the floor boards to act as a boom crutch. This looked clever, but never worked really well.

Enjoy your DS.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby darts » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:46 am

Green Lake,

Good eye. Yes, my mast sheet is configured pretty much the same way, with a block and little becket dangling at the end of the boom. However I do not have that piece of line with a second block or becket that hangs below it, as pictured in yours. Hope that is not missing from mine and i need it??

Per your instructions I will tie the sheet line with a bowline knot to the bottom of the becket that hangs at the end of the boom, and then string it through the blocks on port, starboard and back up to boom, as the O'day instructions state.

As for the boom level....Excellent idea about using the main halyard for now!! Such a simple but great idea. Perhaps I'll look into a topping lift next season. And yes, my paddle crutch does not work very well for this as you stated.

Many thanks again for your response and all of your wisdom on this forum. Your assistance with all my issues have been a huge help! I salute you kind sir!
darts

Postby GreenLake » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:46 am

Following the original instructions, the mainsheet will form a sort of triangle between transom and boom.

That system is perfectly adequate to get started.

Later, you may find that using a second line to make dedicated fixed triangle with a block at the apex will slightly improve your abilities to trim the mainsail. Like the topping lift, you can leave that for a future upgrade. (There's description of this setup in older threads on the forum, I recommend that you spend some time in the off season to read through the older posts - but go sailing first).
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby darts » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:12 pm

Will Do. Many thanks Green Lake!
darts

Return to Day Sailer I Only