Wet Dry 700 or Splash Zone

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Wet Dry 700 or Splash Zone

Postby Windtherapy » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:15 pm

So my new DS1 has a very small fiberglass patch at the bottom near the transom and part of the patch on one side has detached from the hull (very small area) however the PO said water would seep in a tad only when beached and not sailing. I want to repair that and thought I would either use Splash Zone or Wet Dry 700. Any thoughts on either of these products or thoughts on repairing it this way as well?
Windtherapy

Re: Wet Dry 700 or Splash Zone

Postby willyhays » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:11 pm

The answer to your question depends on the type, location, and extent of the damage.

If the repair area is not under water when you are repairing it, then It's not necessary to use an underwater curable epoxy. That gives you more options than Splash Zone or WetDry 700. You could use one of the epoxies that are specifically formulated for fiberglass repair such as WEST System or System Three; you could also use polyester resin.

If the damage has exposed any of the glass reinforcement that lies under the gelcoat (through an abrasion, a hole, or even a small crack in the gelcoat), then it can and most likely will absorb moisture any time that part of the boat is immersed in water whether you are sailing or not.

If the damage has not penetrated the gelcoat, for example, if the gelcoat is abraded but not fractured, then I would not be concerned about water absorption. I
willyhays

Re: Wet Dry 700 or Splash Zone

Postby GreenLake » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:04 pm

Get the boat out of the water, remove the entire patch (grinder) and check out what's underneath.

If it's attempting to cover a crack, or damage laminate, remove to clean laminate, bevel 1:12 and patch properly (see instructions by West System or SystemThree on their websites).

You don't write whether the patch is on the inside or outside of the hull and how "near" the transom it is. If water is seeping in, and it is in the hull between the seats, then the hull is penetrated by a crack. A proper fix is indicated (and not actually hard).

Sure, it takes a few more steps than just slapping on some magic goo, but even relative beginners can get it done correctly, if following the written instructions to the letter, (particularly when it comes to measuring and mixing epoxy resin).
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Day Sailer I Only