Motor

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Motor

Postby Lessund » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:39 am

Hi all...I'm renovating my DSI and am looking for a means to add a small motor for navigating around the marina. I'm considering a trolling motor, since I have no need (at least expected) to travel any long distances, just to get out into the navigable waters and wind. Has anyone used a trolling motor and if so what size (thrust). Thanks for any advice!!
Lessund

Re: Motor

Postby jjam » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:35 pm

I am using a newport vessels 62 lb.thrust motor on a spindrift daysailer that i got last summer.It worked fine getting away from the dock and back and one time about 20 minutes at full power when I found myself down tide and down wind.I had a daysailer 3 before with a 4 hp gas outboard motor that may have had more thrust.You need to think about battery issues like getting metal wires across the terminals and salt water on a lead acid battery.
jjam

Postby GreenLake » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:20 pm

I have used a 40lb thrust trolling motor that I have been using for purposes like traversing under bridges, getting on / off a (small) lake if the wind died, etc, so pretty similar to what the OP is trying to do. For saltwater you can get trolling motors that are more corrosion resistant.

I tend to bring the motor selectively, so I decided against a permanent installation. I had considered finding a trolling motor socket and running a fixed set of large gauge cables under the coaming forward. The cables need to be of a reasonable diameter so that the voltage drop over the distance is acceptable.

The shop I bought them from had a crimping tool that they could lend me for crimping the connectors.

With a single Deep Cycle battery I can run for about 35-40 mins at full power, until I sense that the motor is slowing a bit, which seems to happen around 50% discharge, which is the limit for the batter. I usually bring two batteries, that gives me another 35-40 mins. If I run the motor at setting 4 instead of 5, the run time nearly doubles, but the speed is only 35% less, so there's a net increase in distance, but it requires more patience ;)

Usually, if I motor that long, the wind decides to come back, and because the DS easily sails faster than the trolling motor pushes it, I'm back sailing. Maintenance is minimal (topping off the batteries when not in use, mostly), and even with getting a new battery every 4 years on average, the total expense is pretty low. Something like $40 a year, averaged.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Baysailer » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:38 pm

I second Greenlakes recommendation on size. I use a 36# motor that came with it when needed but generally it is just stowed in the cuddy area. One recommendation I'd make is to shorten the shaft, an easy job and makes the motor a whole lot more manageable.

Fred
Baysailer

Postby Windtherapy » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:10 pm

I also have a trolling motor on and use it all the time when getting away from the busy boat launch.
Windtherapy

Postby chinalake17 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:06 pm

I'm the new owner of a 1960s vintage DS and am readying it for life on a lake. I have two 6 hp Johnson outboards and was thinking one might have found a new use on the DS. Reading this thread, I'm wondering if that's too much weight and power. i also have 30 lb thrust Minnkota trolling motors that I use on canoes. I had thought that the trolling motor wouldn't be near enough power. The lake is 8 miles long and I'd like to know I"ll be able to get back to the mooring in a pinch. My fear is that my two power options are too much and too little. Thoughts are welcome.
chinalake17

Postby GreenLake » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:35 pm

Welcome to the forum!

I'm afraid that you are correct, your trolling motor would be great to get to/from a dock in (mostly) calm conditions. Or to get out of a "wind hole" up to about a mile wide. It's not a "beam me out of here" option. If your lake is narrow, it might be enough to get you to the nearest shore (but not against any wind, even with the sails down).

Your 6hp motor is overkill. 2.5hp are sufficient for moving a DS in most conditions. But 6hp is what you have. I routinely sail on much larger lakes and bays with either a 40lbs trolling motor or none. (If it looks like the winds will be stable I sometimes don't bother bringing a motor at all, and many times, I'll bring one, but don't bother to mount it).

If I feel the winds might get too strong, I don't go out; I wouldn't like the idea of using a motor to get out of strong winds. (Because I've seen too many motors develop problems just when you rely on them most..) -- I do have a reef I can put in my main, so I have a few options in cases where the conditions aren't too overwhelming.

My main strategy for dealing with extended calm is to take a nap and wait for winds to return. In some places that may not be feasible; absent a current, a trolling motor will move your boat to the end of the range. Extending the range is then a game of (1) adding battery capacity and (2) dialing down the speed a notch. At slower speeds the range increases because you push less water around, but also because a battery will yield more total energy if it is discharged more slowly.

Assuming you'd like to try a more minimalist approach to motors and if you already have the infrastructure (batteries etc.) the cheapest route might be to invest in a somewhat stronger trolling motor and a second battery.

Otherwise, take your 6hp motor and explore the lake - after a while your experience should tell you whether a strong motor (maximalist approach) is required/appropriate for the conditions on your lake.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby chinalake17 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:53 am

Thanks very much. That's very helpful. I like the idea of the stronger trolling motor for its simplicity. I will try hooking the 6 hp on just to see how it feels but I'm picturing the boat listing that way because of the weight on that side of the transom. Time to experiment a bit.
And thanks for the welcome. This is a great way tap a lot of DaySailer knowledge!
chinalake17

Return to Day Sailer I Only