DS1 centerboard

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

DS1 centerboard

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 10, 2003 8:37 pm

I have an O'Day DS1 built in 1964. I notice that when we get underway the centerboard pivots back up. We have a cutout and small piece of wood to push it back into place. But, is this a common problem? and is there a way to fix this? It usually comes back up when we get just a little speed.

Thanks!

vince (buteratheflorist-at-blazenet.net)

Postby Bob Hunkins » Fri Jul 11, 2003 8:12 am

It may be that your centerboard is too narrow for the truck. One solution is to build up the centerboard head by gluing formica sheets to the sides. Another option is to build up the interior of the centerboard trunk. If you hear the centerboard banging around down there while you're going downwind, that's another sign the board it too narrow for the trunk.

One thing that is puzzling: why do you need a cutout and the wood piece to push it back into place? Why not just use the centerboard handle?
Bob Hunkins
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 11, 2003 11:10 am

Bob,
I do not have a handle... I guess it was removed before I got the boat. I should learn more about that and see if I can reinstall one.

Postby Bob Hunkins » Fri Jul 11, 2003 12:23 pm

Wow. Someone made a big modification to that boat! So how do you raise the board when you put the boat back on the trailer?

If you can afford it, I'd seriously consider repairing the handle - Unfortunately they are a bit pricey - $95 for a handle alone and $121.00 for the handle assembly - not sure exactly what constitutes an "assembly". These prices are from Cape Cod Shipbuilding. Rudy at D&R probably has them, too, not sure of the price there.
Cape Cod's new web site is: http://www.capecodshipbuilding.com
Check the frontpage for information on D&R.
Bob Hunkins
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 11, 2003 9:53 pm

I raise the board with a line attached to it through the housing.So, with the handle and assembly it is amatter of cranking it into position and it can not move?
I have put so much money into the boat that I think it will be a 2004 project. I'll check with Rudy... Thanks!

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 14, 2003 10:58 pm

Perhaps you have already recieved a response to your last message or perhaps you know this already, but if not...the handle attaches directly to the centerboard. The handle goes thru the trunk and has a square shaft that fits into a square bushing in the centerboard. A big rubber washer goes between the handle and trunk that both seals off the opening in the trunk and provides friction to keep the centerboard where you want it. A 3 bolt clamp arrangement squeezes the rubber washer between handle and trunk. There's also a one position ratchet stop that holds the board in the up position. There's no "cranking" involved...you just move the handle to whatever position you want and rely on the friction to hold board in place.

steve parsons (saabdrver-at-aol.com)

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 14, 2003 11:05 pm

You said someone has removed the handle from your boat...did they glass over the opening and/or provide some other means to seal the hole off and pivot the centerboard on?

steve parsons (saabdrver-at-aol.com)

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 16, 2003 10:12 pm

Steve,
thanks for the info on how it works.

I have a bolt running through the trunk... it seems to be round. there are three very old bolts in that area also which is the clamp you mentioned. So, I guess I still have some of the needed pieces, but no handle.
One more project to add to the list!

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 21, 2003 1:54 pm

A question to Steve Parson's reply on 07.14.03, in your reply you mention that the centerboard has a
"one position ratchet stop" to "hold the centerboard up." My 1981 Spindrift Daysailor I has a device that looks like a ratchet on the bottom of the centerboard housing, right near the base on the right hand side of the housing. If it is suppose to keep the board up, how do you work the ratchet stop?

David Riley (driley-at-ngc.edu)

Postby Bob Hunkins » Tue Oct 21, 2003 3:49 pm

A better term than " a ratchet stop" is perhaps "a pawl". The centerboard handle actually has a cam, or a ridge protruding from it. When the centerboard handle is rotated, the pawl pivots on the foreward-lower most of the three bolts that hold the plate and centerboard handle secure. When the board is in the up position, the pawl catches the cam, and so prevents the board from going back down. To lower the board, lift up on the weighted end of the pawl and rotate the handle aft. At least, that's how it's supposed to work.
Bob Hunkins
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 27, 2003 12:03 pm

Bob,
This weekend, I tried to fix the pawl (catch) on the
centerboard trunk. There are 3 bolts which I first removed with ease. The pawl in this case, was attached behind the top forward bolt. After the bolts were removed, there is a triangular shape piece of metal (the plate). The pawl dropped out of course. In my case, looking at the centerboard handle from the right side of the centerboard housing, there is a cam lobe. With handle released, dropping the centerboard, the lobe is on the bottom right quadrant of the circular part of the handle. The way the pawl was bolted, there was no way it would ever work. So I am a bit confused. Perhaps mine was not assembled right by the prior owner. Other bad news, after putting it back together, I developed a leak that I never had before, perhaps 1 gal. over a 3 1/2 hour voyage. From my observation, the cam lobe looked fine, and the pawl seemed not to have any wear. Any suggestions for what is going on? Thanks in advance.

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 27, 2003 2:08 pm

I believe the pawl is attached by way of the forward, lower bolt. You have to kind of play with it a bit with the plate off to check out the action. Your lucky with getting the bolts out. One on mine froze up and snapped, had to drill out and retap, not easy. Assemble with a grease on the bolts when you put it back together. A little tighter on the bolts may lessen the leak, or check well the position of gasket, or "O" ring whatever is the seal, when you reassemble.

John C. Jr (ghampe-at-rcn.com)

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 27, 2003 3:26 pm

thanks john, on the big rubber looking black o-ring/gasket, the part appears cheap, but how hard is it to replace?

Postby Peter McMinn » Mon Oct 27, 2003 7:52 pm

Dave, take a look at the following dicussions entitled,

"DS I Centerboard problem" and "Does your Day Sailer I centerboard leak?"
Peter McMinn

Postby Bob Hunkins » Mon Oct 27, 2003 8:52 pm

Dave and all:
I've written up something with a couple of photos that I hope will help folks understand how the centerboard pawl system works.
Go to:
http://www.bobhunkins.com/surprise/archive/000487.html

Thanks,
Bob Hunkins
Site Admin

Next

Return to Day Sailer I Only