DS 1 centerboard lever

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

DS 1 centerboard lever

Postby Peter McMinn » Tue Sep 23, 2003 5:32 pm

The centerboard lever handle on my '63 DS1 broke on gorgeous sailing day last weekend--aarghhh! It was home-made from cast aluminum and had been bolted/banded to the stub of the old bronze pivot assembly, which had probably broken many moons ago. The outer portion of the pivot is twisted and the whole assembly needs replacing.
Question: am I going to have to put out the $170. for a new assembly, or is there another way? Perhaps someone out there could part with an extra? Has anyone had one of these things fashioned?
Peter McMinn

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 25, 2003 11:08 pm

My only advice after 2 years of sailing is that you get what you pay for. That and the fact that anything done cheaply WILL break just when you need it to work the most.
Seriously, I suggest you call Rudy and D&R Marine and get your baby the correct set of shoes.

Tom (tom.beames-at-wachovia.net)

Postby Peter McMinn » Sat Jan 24, 2004 1:10 pm

FYI
Noticed the updated D&R Marine parts list did not include the option of buying only the handle. Talked to Rudy and he's sending me only the handle at $125.
Peter McMinn

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 26, 2004 11:12 am

I have a '59 DS 1, with a nicely cast aluminum extension handle, bolted to the stub of the bronze cb lever. I assumed it was original construction, it seems to match together well, and works fine, so far.

John C. Jr. (ghampe-at-rcn.com)

Postby Peter McMinn » Thu Jan 29, 2004 5:55 pm

I talked to Rudy at D&R about the handle he sent me, which had a stainless pin compressed into the end of the square pivot shank. It turns out this pin is to fit into a hole in the port side of the trunk and pivot in a stainless or bronze plate glassed onto the outside of the trunk. Rudy explained this was a modifiaction made to early DS1's.

The revision makes a whole lot of sense, as I've suspected my difficulty in lowering the board has been due to the torque of the lever pushing the end of the board into the portside trunk wall, as opposed to straight down.

I'd like to get started on this soon, but first find out if anyone here has done anything similar to their '60's DS1, or if there are any other suggestions.

Peter
Peter McMinn

Return to Day Sailer I Only