motor mount

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

motor mount

Postby Guest » Sun Jan 04, 2004 7:19 pm

Does anyine know of an outboard motor mount that attaches to the motor well of a ds1, with clamps, like an outboard does itself. I do not want to drill holes in my hull. Thanks, Fred[ cape cod]

fred mens (info-at-roadworksauto.com)

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:42 pm

Why not just clamp the outboard direct to the transom? Why add complications to the simple O'Day design? I did that on my DS II, and it woked fine. I used a thin piece of plywood to protect the fiberglass on the outside of the boat. Clamping the outboard direct to the transom will be more secure than clamping the motor to a bracket that is clamped to the transom, and either way you are dealing with clamping to the boat.

Rod Johnson, "SUNBIRD" (rjohnson24-at-juno.com)

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:51 pm

Even better than plywood, available at most marine stores is a rubber pad for the specific purpose. In addition to protecting the finish, it also help absorbs vibrations which will help reduce the possibility of the clamps loosening allowing the motor to fall off.

Collin Casey (gybe-it-at-ev1.net)

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 09, 2004 2:07 pm

Even better than plywood, available at most marine stores is a rubber pad for the specific purpose. In addition to protecting the finish, it also help absorbs vibrations which will help reduce the possibility of the clamps loosening allowing the motor to fall off.

Collin Casey (gybe-it-at-ev1.net)

Postby boone » Fri Jan 16, 2004 1:26 pm

Collin, can you please verify your email address? My server has made several attempts to send messages to gybe-it@ev1.net and all are met with an 'unknown user' response.

Thanks,
Mike Boone
boone
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 16, 2004 7:28 pm

Sorry about the email address thing. That is an old address. Thanks for pointing it out. No wonder I don't get updates anymore. The correct address is Gybe-it@houston.rr.com. High speed baby! Just like my DSII

CC

Collin Casey (gybe-it-at-houston.rr.com)

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 26, 2004 11:48 pm

I'm with Fred... the 4 hp mariner that came with my DS is in the way when under sail I ordered a stand off from West Marine that will move the engine back 8" hopefully this will solve the problem, I'd rather not drill four holes in the transom for the stand off, so I'm looking for a bracket that I can slip over the transom and bolt the stand off to the bracket, thanks. Greg

Greg Ciampa (gciampa-at-cox.net)

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 14, 2004 5:47 pm

I have a 5hp Nissan that came with the boat when I bought it (I think I'm the 3rd or 4th owner). I have the same problem with mine, the traveler gets hungup on the motor and causes all kinds of problems. If there's a good mount out there that doesn't involve punching holes let me know

James (James-at-tvdads.com)

Return to Day Sailer I Only