ordering new sails

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

ordering new sails

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 03, 2004 8:38 pm

I need new sails for a 1967 DS1 but Jotz asks for make of mast can anyone help. Just got boat and plan on fixing up has not been in water since 1982.

ray (kdenny-at-mesh.net)

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:45 am

I have a ballanger but have seen Jotz sails work well with an untapered mast. What level are you. Are you wanting to be competitive in local fleet or do you want to compete nationally? Jotz makes a good sail at a good price. Phill Root (past national champion) and I (5th last year, 4th year in 2002) both use Jotz on stiffer masts. I've heard that North sails work well on more flexible masts but I bet you can make Jotz go well on anything. Is your mast a straight section? Is it original? I bet we could figure it out if you could let me know what it looks like and if it's original.

Mark Schroeder
Past President
Day Sailer Association

Mark Schroeder (mschroed-at-lane.k12.or.us)

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 04, 2004 8:10 pm

Mast is a straight one piece. Previous doner said he thinks it is original. My past is with hobie 14's this was a you fix and it's yours deal no major problems three sails left in the bottom of boat since 1982 lot of rot but boat is sound.

ray (kdenny-at-mesh.net)

Return to Day Sailer I Only