Shelves

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Shelves

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 23, 2004 4:38 pm

I have a 1982 Spindrift DS1. This was one of the models that does not have side shelves under the cutty. I am thinking of building some rather than hanging nets like I have seen in some boats. Has anyone out there built any and have any suggestions?

Roger Livingston (rnlivingston-at-tccsecure.com)

Postby Bob Hunkins » Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:06 pm

Maybe someone will sell theirs to you. Often times racers take them out to save weight.
Bob Hunkins
Site Admin

Postby Lee Peterson » Wed Mar 24, 2004 8:29 am

Roger,

I have an '86 Precision DS1 with the same molded hull liner as your Spindrift. I made a single plywood shelf that spanned the inside of the cuddy from "shelf" to "shelf". I removed the teak fiddles from the edges of the forward and side shelves and shaped 1/2" plywood supported by 1x2 "joists" to fit the open area. The plywood was in two halves with a cutout to accommodate the compression post. A 1x6 center "post" supported the shelf just under the lip of the cuddy and 1x3 fiddles along the aft edge kept gear from falling off. The center post was shaped to match the sole and the cuddy roof and provided some support for the cuddy deck when I stepped the mast. I mounted my compass in that post along with the switch for my running lights. Total weight of the shelf was about 50 pounds. The assembly was simply screwed together and I easily removed it when I started racing more seriously. The shelf provided lots of storage for camping gear. I still have the pieces and could take measurements if you're interested.

Lee
Lee Peterson

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 24, 2004 10:08 am

Lee,

do you have any pictures ?

I'm planning on instaling shelves in my DS2, and have yet to figure out how to do it without drilling holes to the boat.

Luiz

Luiz Affonso (delphosdivers-at-hotmail.com)

Postby Roger » Wed Mar 24, 2004 10:08 pm

In my experience, things roll around on shelves, so I was able to purchase a small cargo net that typically sits across the trunk of a car to keep items where they belong. Picture a 1 x 4 foot elasticized net with four corner loops. I hope to attach two of these inside along either side of the cuddy near the roof to hold sunglasses, lotion, extra clothes, books, gloves, etc.

I happened to buy this one at a surplus store (Princess Auto) but I think any auto accessory store may carry them.
Roger

Postby Lee Peterson » Tue Mar 30, 2004 8:11 am

Luiz,

I took a couple shots of the shelf components and will try to get them to the photo section on this site. I'm having difficulty shrinking the file size and still maintaining some sharpness in the photo. If that doesn't work I can email them off list.

Lee
Lee Peterson

Return to Day Sailer I Only