replacing masthead?

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

replacing masthead?

Postby calden » Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:38 am

Hey all:

I've put on a mast hinge, and in doing so I'm looking at what else needs to be upgraded on that big old stick. I noticed that one of the masthead nylon sheaves has a little chip off the edge. Looks like something that could eventually abrade my new main halyard.

Do I need to replace the whole masthead assembly, or is it possible to simply knock out the pin that holds the sheave in place and replace the sheave? Dwyer Mast's website has a diagram indicating that it looks like one could buy just the sheaves and pins and replace those separately:

(http://www.dwyermast.com/items.asp cat1ID=20&cat1Name=Masts&familyID=35&familyName=DM%2D284+Mast)

However, my masthead assembly doesn't quite look like Dwyer's. Theirs has the sheaves slightly hanging over the fore and aft edges of the mast, whereas mine has the sheaves' outer edges right in line with the mast edges - there are no rounded bulges on it.

Time to replace the whole thing?

On an up note, I've finished repairing and varnishing the coamings and have made new thwarts. This is gonna look GOOD.

Thanks,
Carlos
DS I #1653
calden

Re: replacing masthead?

Postby Palmer4th » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:21 pm

Just wondering how you ended up fixin them. I need to either buy a new head or replace mine
Palmer4th

Re: replacing masthead?

Postby GreenLake » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:04 pm

@palmer4th: Welcome to the forum. When you resurrect an old post like this, you run the chance that the contributor from ten years ago has moved on to a different boat or a different hobby. Which, incidentally, is the case here.

Generally, you should be able to see the aluminum pins that hold the sheaves. These can be drilled out. A good replacement for them would be to use stainless steel clevis pins of the same diameter, with a cotter pin or cotter ring to hold them in place.

Replacement sheaves can be ordered from D&R Marine. They carry a number of parts that are specific to the DS and are generally knowledgeable about the boat as well.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Repair and Improvement