Centerboard Repair

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Centerboard Repair

Postby 1987DSPrecision » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:05 am

Hello all,

I just purchased a 1987 Day Sailer I made by Precision; HULL#130029.

Take a look at these pictures, the previous owner told me these just needed to be "re-caulked" and that someone used a gray caulk instead of white. The more I look at it the more I wonder.
What are your suggestions to repair?

1987DSPrecision

Re: Centerboard Repair

Postby GreenLake » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:19 pm

Does that model have a double hull?

If so, it looks like the support for the inner hull it near the CB may have failed and it has separated from the trunk. Does it also look like it may have been higher (more elevated) at some prior time? Does the cockpit floor flex and move up and down along the CB trunk when you step on it?

If it is just a question of sealing the seam between the inner hull molding and the CB trunk, then, in principle this might be amenable to being caulked. But that would assume that the inner hull is still fully supported and does not flex when you step on it near the CB trunk.

Alternatively, you could run a glass tab over the gap, solidly linking the CB trunk and the cockpit, and in the process also sealing it permanently.It certainly wouldn't do any harm. You would need to remove all traces of the previous caulk (and wash the area a number of times in case it contained silicone). Then you need to grind away the gelcoat to about 4" (use masking tape to protect areas that you don't want to touch). After that, you'd lay 3-4 layers of cloth using epoxy resin for better bonding. You would try to create a little bit of a "stairstep" effect, by going from wider to narrower strips of cloth - this helps transfer the loads more evenly.

After that, the epoxy needs to be sealed against UV. You can use paint, or you may be able to use a gelcoat repair kit. Gelcoat can be applied over epoxy if you were very precise in mixing it, or if you use an epoxy that's designed for the purpose - for example System Three's SB-112.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby 1987DSPrecision » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:46 pm

It does have a double hull.

It does not appear that it was higher at any point in time. It looks like it is positioned correctly.
Also, there is not any flex in the floor surrounding the trunk.

Do you think a temporary caulk job to get out on the water, then plan a bit bigger job over the winter would be a good idea?
1987DSPrecision

Postby GreenLake » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:55 am

That area would seem not to be critical for strength/stiffness of the boat, but sealing it will ensure the integrity of the flotation for the double hull.

Use something that's not silicone based, for example LifeCaulk from BoatLife (or any PolySulfide based caulk).
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Repair and Improvement