Motors, Motors, Motors...

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Re: Motors, Motors, Motors...

Postby DigitalMechanic » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:31 pm

KingsTransom wrote:I picked up the motor today. It is a 1980-ish Mercury 4.5. It weighs in at 58 lbs and the transom to prop center length is 23".
I don't see a model number on it. I would assume "Mercury 4.5" does not uniquely describe the motor since it was probably made over many years and in different configurations, like 4-stroke vs. 2. Any idea where I might get a pdf of the manual?

You can try here... http://www.marineengine.com/parts/mercury-outboard/. I found the manual to my Merc there. However, mine is a 1996 (I think). Mercury did not do a great job with serial number's having some sort of convention or meaning. From my research (at least through the 90's until now), Tohatsu made all those small outboards, and then companies like Nissan, Mercury, Evinrude, etc, rebranded them and padded a few $$$ for their name being printed on them. When you take the cowl off, they are all the same under there. Yours being from the 80's, I am not sure though.

KingsTransom wrote:The motor brackets on my DS2 are sand-cast aluminum made by Michigan Wheel Co. They are a two-part, left & right set with only 525L and 525R for ID numbers and a rather odd wood breadboard mounting panel between. I found a site with a 1970 Michigan Propellers Outboard catalog with brackets having the same part number, rated up to 10 hp. While I thought a lighter motor would be better, and I may at some point buy a lighter motor, this is a bird in the hand for a price that can't be beat. I'll just have to see how it sails with 58 lbs before I can justify replacing it with a lighter motor.

My 3.5HP 2 stroke Nissan is 29lbs, and my 4HP 2 stroke Mercury is 41lbs. The larger motor makes things a little more awkward for me, but the boat does not seem to be bothered by it. I will say that my boat has always favored the port side when at the dock, presumably because my motor is mounted on that side. Once underway, that issue pretty much disappears (with either motor). As for the mount, I have nothing fancy. My boat came with marine plywood slapped onto the transom. I have not had any problems with that as a mount yet (vibrations make a bit of noise).
DigitalMechanic

Postby KingsTransom » Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:49 pm

I got the outboard running today - foul beast. It smokes about as much as a 2-stroke ought to, and put a fair amount of oil in my test bin full of water. I probably should do something to verify that it is not gear oil.

I bristle at idea of dragging this passenger around, never really wanting to use it, on the odd chance I might need it. On the other hand, I think it is a matter of safety when it comes to sailing on Lake Michigan. The wind can carry you pretty far, then if something breaks or the wind goes flat, you're too far out to paddle. Necessary evil.
KingsTransom

Postby DigitalMechanic » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:12 pm

KingsTransom wrote:I got the outboard running today - foul beast. It smokes about as much as a 2-stroke ought to, and put a fair amount of oil in my test bin full of water. I probably should do something to verify that it is not gear oil.

I bristle at idea of dragging this passenger around, never really wanting to use it, on the odd chance I might need it. On the other hand, I think it is a matter of safety when it comes to sailing on Lake Michigan. The wind can carry you pretty far, then if something breaks or the wind goes flat, you're too far out to paddle. Necessary evil.

It might sound crazy, but I never sail further than I have enough gas to motor back. Just in case... Yes, necessary evil for many reasons for me.
DigitalMechanic

Postby GreenLake » Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:59 am

Well, strictly speaking, from as safety point of view, you only "need" as much gas as required to get you to a safe spot to put ashore. Unless your starting point is the only such spot, of course. As it might be for a big, open body of water....
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby DigitalMechanic » Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:09 pm

GreenLake wrote:Well, strictly speaking, from as safety point of view, you only "need" as much gas as required to get you to a safe spot to put ashore. Unless your starting point is the only such spot, of course. As it might be for a big, open body of water....

The St. Johns river is 2 miles wide where the juiciest sailing is at. It takes roughly 3/4 mile to get past the commotion of boats/bridges in the skinny part of the river downtown from ye ol' ramp. Then there are a good 6 miles or more of river headed south before hitting the next bridge, and where the river is at it's widest... and sailing/wind is at it's most awesomeness. The city has done a fantastic job of capitalizing on every inch if water front property along the way, lol. In a real emergency, you could always borrow someones dock if need be (if they would not complain and run you off). Anyway, if there is a problem, there is nothing more comforting than being able to get back to one's trailer at the dock ;)
DigitalMechanic

Postby GreenLake » Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:28 pm

Just looked up the chart for your location. Pretty challenging. Also looks like it's shallow enough that you can get your mast stuck on the bottom if you ever capsize.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby talbot » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:40 am

Whatever. I'm just jealous that someone is just setting out with their new motor. Today I did the fall storage servicing on the 5hp motor for our larger boat. We have maybe one expedition left in the DS before we pack that boat up as well. Still warm enough to have the windows open, but I can hear the first dry leaves rattling on the boat cover outside.
talbot

Postby KingsTransom » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:06 am

The Chicago harbors operate until October 31. I mean to sail until then, or until it threatens frost over night. By that point, I hope to have the garage cleared enough to store the boat, which may extend the season, if before 10/31.
KingsTransom

Postby Clyde » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:07 pm

Trying to buck a headwind is somewhat like battling current. I sail on a lake and have a small electric trolling motor that has come in handy. I launch at a ramp and float where there is very little manuvering room so need the motor to get to an open area where I can raise the sails - same in reverse coming in. Last week thought I had a perfect wind to sail away from float. Wind shifted and I was almost in trouble. Glad for the motor. Too old to take chances - rather play it safe. I thought long and hard about what type of outboard to get. Tried the electric way and I'mhappy most of the time. Only real problem is the weight of the battery.
Clyde Starr
DS1 #11354
"Downsized"
Clyde

Postby talbot » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:12 pm

This isn't really a motor post, but I'll let Greenlake tell me where i can put it. Backing into a Pacific estuary for the last launch of the season--one too many--when the winch released on its own. The boat landed on its Honda now-a-little-shorter shaft. The wind was perfect and the tide was coming in, so we recovered the boat and relaunched. Not a cloud in the sky except that hanging over the skipper. I'm guessing the repair will cost more than the 2hp motor, but i guess i have all winter to find out.
talbot

Postby GreenLake » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:47 pm

Talbot, it's fine. Well, posting here is fine, not your motor... sorry to hear of your misadventure.

I have the advantage that the ramps I use most often have places you can tie up to complete the rigging. That's where I mount rudder and motor (the latter, only if I intend to use it right away). As I use a trolling motor, the motor isn't the heavy part, so I tend to delay setting it up until I know that I'll definitely need it. Until then it naps in the cuddy, with a fender as a pillow - to keep the prop off the floor. (For emergency propulsion around the dock, I use paddles. Those work quite well, but for short distances only).

The possibility of a winch disaster hadn't occurred to me yet, even though I lost a bow eye once (but that was on retrieval).

But, partially because of that experience, I always wrap the painter around the winch post and belay it on the deck cleat. I don't untie it until the trailer is backed into the water.

Is there any story in why your winch decided to jump the gun?
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby talbot » Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:07 am

I just hit a bump. I had already removed the holdown strap. The ratchet lever just flipped. Our other boat came with a length of chain on the winch post. "What the hell is this for?" I wondered. Now i know.
talbot

Postby GreenLake » Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:14 am

Hindsight!
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby carl10579 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:29 am

Recently picked up a Yamaha 2.5, 4 stroke in like new condition. It came with an inflatable dingy that I purchased for the bigger boat. I will be trying it out on the DSII soon. What is really nice about it is that the fuel tank is built in to the motor. No need for a fuel line and tank. I wouldn't want to be miles from the ramp when the wind dies but for lake sailing it should be a blessing. I'll keep the 9.5 around for backup.

The other thing is - no reverse. But with the engine right next to you it is easy enough to spin it around to back up. It rotates 360 degrees.

Carl
carl10579

Postby talbot » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:52 pm

Yeah, the lighter the better in motors that are used rarely on a dinghy.
We carry extra gas in 1-liter aluminum bottles, one bottle per tankful for our 2hp Honda.
Spinning the motor for reverse is no problem. And at least your Yamaha has a clutch. Our little Honda is basically a weedwhacker. If it's running, the prop is turning.
talbot

PreviousNext

Return to Repair and Improvement