A suggestion for photo albums by category

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

A suggestion for photo albums by category

Postby KingsTransom » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:29 pm

As I understand it, the personal photo galleries are the means by which people add photos to the board, and those photos can then be referenced within posts or albums. I've looked through some of the personal galleries, and found excellent visual references for rigging, repairs, boom tents, etc. To improve access, could we add albums for categories, then have posters suggest which albums would be appropriate to hold references to photos they found in personal galleries? Then future searches could be made based on subject, rather than member.

Albums might include:
Rigging
Centerboard
Trailers
Mast support for towing
Boom tents
Sails
Cuddy (mods, organization, gear tie-downs)
KingsTransom

Re: A suggestion for photo albums by category

Postby GreenLake » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:03 pm

Many interesting pictures already exist, so perhaps a better way would be to leave them where they are, but to assemble an index of "truly useful" images?

The categories would be flexible and images could be indexed multiple times, under different categories, if necessary.

Also, it's easier to make sure that only images of some further interest are indexed. To remove something not-so-interesting from an index doesn't delete the image. Cleaning an album would require to actually delete entries. (Also, the moderator tools for albums are rather poor).

A model might be the Hull-number index thread. One guy gets to post an initial index, and then everyone can make further nominations in a reply. Occasionally, the original poster might coalesce things, by updating the first post in the thread (so the index is quickly accessed). If this idea has a champion and shows that it has "legs" then thread could be pinned to the top of one of the sections so that it's easy to find.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby KingsTransom » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:32 pm

I'm just suggesting we add a way to browse photos by subject, rather than looking through member galleries. I know nothing of how albums are created, or whether the photos actually reside within the album or if the album simply provides a link to the photos that reside in member galleries.

I'll leave the implementation to those who know how the board works. It would be nice to be able to browse a photo collection, arranged by subject, as a set of thumbnails, to easily find what you're looking for. I'm not sure if what you are suggesting would do that, or only provide a text link, or an image BBcode or ?
KingsTransom

Postby GreenLake » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:02 am

There isn't any staff here to do "implementations".
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby KingsTransom » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:34 am

I wasn't suggesting that anyone implement anything, just that those with knowledge of how the board works would be the best ones to tell the rest of us how to implement it.

If I understand correctly, you are suggesting that an OP create a thread with a topic like "Towing Mast Support", to which they or others can post references to matching photos. What form would those references take? When looking at a photo in another member's gallery, I see that I can copy (and therefor paste into the thread) the "Image-URL" and the "Image BBCode".
KingsTransom

Postby GreenLake » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:12 pm

The key is the "id" number for the image.

When you are entering or editing a post and click the "album" button right above the edit field it inserts this code into your post:

Code: Select all
[album][/album]

Now, you insert the id number, say 999 and you would get:

[album]999[/album]

When you preview your post after you have inserted that code you will see:

which is a lovely image of someone's GPS holder.

Now, if you had found that image in the gallery, you would see that the BBC code it offers you is just this bit of code
[album]999[/album]
so that is all you need, and you can paste that directly into your post.

The ID number is also part of the URL for the image; I usually just grab if from there, but then I'm used to "read" ULRs.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Repair and Improvement