Paint job Minnesota winter

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Paint job Minnesota winter

Postby joshuaharmony7 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:08 pm

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for some advice as going about repainting my (new to me) 1972 Daysailer. Like my title says, I live in Minnesota and the winter is a comin'. My boat is currently fully functioning yet has had a kind of sloppy paint job all over. I'd love to sail it as long as possible through the fall before I have to put it away. Does anybody know the cost of having a daysailer sanded and painted professionally? I'm assuming that it will be quite expensive so I will probably try to heat my garage and tackling it myself. Anyone out there sanded and painted through the winter? How long should I expect it to take? Should I attempt it while the weather is still warm? Any tips are greatly appreciated. Thanks!
joshuaharmony7

Re: Paint job Minnesota winter

Postby kokko » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:23 pm

Was there a bad paint job, or is the gel coat faded and chalky? I was able to restore the gel coat on Truelove with a lot of polishing.
If you find a place to paint, I would be happy to lend a hand
DS1 Truelove
kokko

Postby joshuaharmony7 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:36 am

Thank you very much for such a generous offer! Unfortunately the boat has been painted over and is flaking. Underneath some of the flaking seems to be the Gel coat which is a yellowish color. The fiberglass and structure of the boat is sound. The paint job on the other hand looks like it was done with maybe house paint or something. I'm not really sure how to approach it but I'm assuming there is going to be some sanding involved. I have a fairly large garage that I think I can tackle the project in over the winter. I'm wondering if it might be best to have a professional do it if it's not too much money. I still need to gather some more information so that I can plan for the right decision.
joshuaharmony7

Postby joshuaharmony7 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:37 am

Again, any tips would be greatly appreciated.
joshuaharmony7

Postby GreenLake » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:19 pm

Given the price of the boat, you probably wouldn't want to have a professional do it.

Garage over the winter, sounds a good way to go. You way want to enclose an area just around the boat so you can sand it without getting the dust on everything else.

Read in the old threads here about ways to launch your boat onto the ground and support it for this kind of project. (Also upside down, if you are painting the bottom of the hull).

I'll let others chime in who have had a positive experience with the paint they used.

(I'm moving this to the repairs section as it's not specific to the DS2).
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby kokko » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:29 am

Joshua:

Check you private msgs and come for a sail
DS1 Truelove
kokko

Postby joshuaharmony7 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:36 am

Thanks for the tip Greenlake. I'm probably going to go that route since I'll save on cash and have something to do over the winter. My brother in law has some pretty nice equipment and has a sander that will suck dust into a shop vac. I'll post pics on here of the project once its too cold for comfort to sail. If anyone has links to completed sanding and painting projects, It'd be much appreciated if you could post the links here. I'm going to search it but someone might have a link I may not stumble upon myself.

Cheers!
joshuaharmony7

Postby joshuaharmony7 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:38 am

@kokko Will do!
joshuaharmony7

Return to Repair and Improvement