"Spare" mounting holes for bow cleats

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

"Spare" mounting holes for bow cleats

Postby KingsTransom » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:18 am

I noticed there is a hole in the deck, half covered by the bow cleat foot, on each of the two bow cleats. The hole is on the inboard side of the frontmost foot. It must be original since there was no inspection port and all the original spray-in foam was in place when I added a port to fix the bow eye. The hole is big enough and deep enough to probe with a length of bell wire, which only goes in about an inch. Has anyone else seen this on their boat? I am guessing this was a design change to add a bigger cleat - they used one hole as-is, and drilled the second farther forward to fit the wider foot spacing. I assume it would be best to fill the hole with silicone to keep water out of the bow.
KingsTransom

Re: "Spare" mounting holes for bow cleats

Postby jeadstx » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:32 am

I have something similar on one cleat, but it is because of a repair that I did when I first got the boat. In the days before I found this forum and knew what inspection ports were. When I got my boat there was damage to the deck below the cleat.

Yours might be a previous owner replacing the cleats with ones that did not match the original hole pattern.

John
1976 Day Sailer II, #8075 - Completed the 2011, 2012, and 2013 Texas 200
1952 Beetle Boat Swan Catboat
Early Rhodes 19
1973 Mariner 2+2, #2607 - Completed 2014, 2015 and 2016 Texas 200
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
Fleet 135; Canyon Lake, Texas
jeadstx

Re: "Spare" mounting holes for bow cleats

Postby GreenLake » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:00 am

The side decks on my boat were drilled (by the factory) for hardware that was never mounted. The holes were filled by gelcoat, but are clearly visible from below the deck. (The gelcoat is a perfect color match, and a corresponding hole in the wooden coamings is missing, reinforcing the idea that this 'patch job' was done at the yard - either as part of customizing the boat, or in an attempt to use up a stockpile of decks that had been prepared for an older layout.

Lean production, six sigma, and quality circles were all unknown concepts when most of our boats were built... :)
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Repair and Improvement