DS1 Centerboard Handle is loose

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Re: DS1 Centerboard Handle is loose

Postby GreenLake » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:08 pm

I wasn't thinking when I posted my question. When the CB is up, you can of course measure the thickness from below with the boat on the trailer (at least to the degree that the thickness of the "head" is a constant, as you can access the forward face of that part of the CB).

So, I just measured it an the result is an annoying 7/8" (smaller than minimal size for onlinemetals).

Near the handle, the head may be slightly thicker, but I doubt it would be a full 1/8".

Still like your idea of suggesting this to Rudy.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby kokko » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:50 am

Greenlake:

If it was cut to 1" would that be a problem? It would extend beyond the width of the CB by 1/16" on either side. Surely there is room to accommodate that in the CB locker.
DS1 Truelove
kokko

Postby GreenLake » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:04 pm

I looked at the fine print more closely.

Good news: smaller dimensions can be cut, the minimum is just for the price charged.
Bad news: cuts are only guaranteed to within 1/8", with the tolerance from zero to + 1/8" (or effectively +/- 1/16" for 1/16" oversize)

Based on that, I'm thinking of ordering 7/8", in the hopes that I'll get something between that and 1".

I will see what I get and how it works, and if it does, we can see whether this is something that other DS1 owners are interested in.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby TIM WEBB » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:24 pm

The cuts I've gotten from them in the past have been pretty spot-on in length.
Tim Webb
1979 DS2 10099 The Red Witch
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Postby rnlivingston » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:23 am

The original DS1 centerboards had a rectangular brass plate with a square hole in the middle that was set in the middle of the centerboard to keep the hole square. As we have seen, overtime the square hole in the brass rounds out. You used to be able to buy replacement plates, but I do not have a source. A friend made up a couple of plates out of aluminum (I think stainless steel would be better). I routed down about a 1/4 inch around the square hole to receive the new plate. I screwed and epoxied it in place being careful to align the handle properly. I then put 4 layers of fiberglass cloth over the plate. Then cut out the hole in the glass and cleaned it up with sandpaper.

Be care when routing you don't hit the old brass plate. You may have to dig it out. While the brass plate was 3/16 inch thick, the aluminum plates are 1/8 inch. A good source for metal plates is McMaster Carr http://www.mcmaster.com/
Roger Livingston
DS 6872
Mariner 4096
rnlivingston

Postby BILL17DS » Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:52 pm

I called a metal supply company but they only sold 10' lengths for $7. a foot. They told me about a metal fabricator that they supplied.
I got the SS tubing from a metal fabricator in Burlington VT. They use this stuff all the time and have pieces laying around. They gave me a 6" piece for nothing. It can be cut with an angle grinder using an aluminum oxide cutoff wheel. If you don't own the tool then borrow one or get one from Harbor Freight for very little money. It is a tool of many uses.
I don't know the exact width measurement because I am in NJ and the boat is in VT.
Be aware that there is a cast bronze plate moulded into the CB so you want to make the hole a bit oversize so that there is epoxy between dissimilar metals.
BILL17DS

Postby BILL17DS » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:05 pm

I have retrieved wonderful chunks of metal from scrap yards both in NJ and VT. Metal sculpturers often use the scrap yards as a source. You pay by weight at market price, and you may have to dig in filthy bins, but it can be rewarding.
They will not let you cut anything down so you might end up with more than you need but still at a cost savings.
And, yes, this comes from my dumpster-diving heritage.
BILL17DS

Postby GreenLake » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:46 pm

I ordered 7/8" from online metals and was able to pick it up at their nearest warehouse (they have several across the country). Total cost: $1.67 and the dimensions came out to what I was expecting (about 1/16" longer than requested - they clearly like to err on getting you a little more than you ask for on the principle that you can always cut, but never add).

The item was promised the same day at 4:30pm and the warehouse closed at 4:30pm. So I show at 4:29pm and when I get the part, it's still warm :)

That's what I call "just in time" delivery. :shock:

I hadn't noticed the embedded brass plate when I last looked at the CB, but I will need to do some filing then to get this "shim" to fit. Thanks for the warning.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby TIM WEBB » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:37 am

GL, when I ordered from them in Deland FL, the goods always came from their Orlando warehouse. UPS ground was always next day (always is anywhere within FL), and shipping was always less than it would cost me to drive there and back. But my orders were usually a bit more than $1.67 (SS stuff for work) ... <grin>
Tim Webb
1979 DS2 10099 The Red Witch
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Previous

Return to Repair and Improvement