Single line reefing

Moderator: GreenLake

Re: Single line reefing

Postby K.C. Walker » Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:15 pm

I had not thought of storing the sail on the boom while trailering and summer storage. Maybe I need to get a sail cover, actually I do. How do you store your sail? Do you have a long bag or a sail cover? My forward reefing cleat, I should have said is on the boom over the cuddy. The line threads through a couple of strap eyes on its way to make sure that it stays out of the way. The horned cleat that I'm using has a hole in the middle between the horns that I thread the line through and then a figure 8 knot, I guess it's 3-4 mm. I can just yank on the loose end and that tightens everything up. I could see using a small cam cleat would work nicely.
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby GreenLake » Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:56 am

If I feel like it, I'll put sail and boom into a sail bag (there's just about enough slack in the main to allows that). Otherwise, I'll just roll it next to the boom and put a tarp over it when I park the trailer. The nearest lake is just a few minutes drive away, so there's no extended trailering involved. It's all an attempt to keep a reasonable ratio of setup to time on the water, during the part of the season where I take the boat out every week, but for a relatively short time.

For longer trips on the trailer, the sail comes off and goes into a bag. And whenever there's a gap in the sailing schedule, everything comes off.

I also leave jib sheet and barber haulers connected to the boat. I have a soft shackle loop forming a Prusik knot that I use to attach it to the clew. Together, all these steps save perhaps 10 mins on both rigging and unrigging. Adds up to 5 hours over the summer.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Signalcharlie » Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:12 am

My new rigger is coming by this week to add a reef hook and clew line hardware, I'll ask him about the down and back angles involved at the clew. Thanks for the info, I hadn't thought about running the clew line forward.

Kent
"Cyane" 1971 #4624
Kent and Skipper
1971 DS II #4624 "CYANE"
Small Boat Restoration blog http://smallboatrestoration.blogspot.com/p/o.html
Signalcharlie

Previous

Return to Rigging