Tabernacle Hinge

Moderator: GreenLake

Tabernacle Hinge

Postby sailor54 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:24 pm

I need to replace the hinge The half that attaches to the mast is bent. I have a new hinge, but I can't figure out how to get the old one off.
Looking for suggestions.
If you can't tie good knots, tie lots of them.
sailor54

Re: Tabernacle Hinge

Postby jeadstx » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:13 pm

A picture might help.

The hinge plates are attached to mast step castings which should be bolted or riveted to the ends of the mast and lower support. Remove the castings to access the bolts holding the hinge plates in place.

John
1976 Day Sailer II, #8075 - Completed the 2011, 2012, and 2013 Texas 200
1952 Beetle Boat Swan Catboat
Early Rhodes 19
1973 Mariner 2+2, #2607 - Completed 2014, 2015 and 2016 Texas 200
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
Fleet 135; Canyon Lake, Texas
jeadstx

Postby sailor54 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:42 pm

I understand pictures would help but I haven't figured out how to post them.
How do I remove the castings?
sailor54

Postby GreenLake » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:25 pm

Most of the castings are riveted in place. Look for rivets that you can drill out.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby sailor54 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:52 pm

No rivets. Just 3 screws. I removed them but nothing moved. Is it possible the halyard blocks need to be removed? I'll try to get some pictures posted.
sailor54

Postby GreenLake » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:39 pm

Only if they are screwed into the casting.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Alan » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:02 pm

Here are some photos of my setup:

This is how my boat came.The slotted screw in the photo is one of two that secured the casting to the mast.

mast hinge 3.jpg
mast hinge 3.jpg (233.62 KiB) Viewed 14534 times

I bought a new hinge and castings just for peace of mind. Here are two views, both taken before I drilled the castings:

mast hinge 2.jpg
mast hinge 2.jpg (185.19 KiB) Viewed 14534 times

mast hinge 1.jpg
mast hinge 1.jpg (136 KiB) Viewed 14534 times

In the next post: What happens when you run the mast into a powerline.
Last edited by Alan on Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alan

Postby Alan » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:06 pm

damaged mast step and forestay shackle.jpg
damaged mast step and forestay shackle.jpg (154.58 KiB) Viewed 14534 times

I drilled and tapped the new castings for machine screws, then ran the mast into a powerline. Three of the screws stripped out of the top casting and the fourth broke part of the casting away. That piece at the bottom is the snap shackle that was securing the forestay to the stemhead.

Anyway,this should give you an idea of how the hinge and castings go together. If a casting is stuck, the mast may have been distorted by damage, or maybe it's corroded. Or maybe someone thought bonding it in with 3M 5200 was a good idea. :wink:
Alan

Postby jeadstx » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:37 am

I have a Rhodes 19 mast with the same hinge plates. The castings were attached with screws. After removing the screws, the casting was a tight fit and had to be "carefully" pried out.

John
1976 Day Sailer II, #8075 - Completed the 2011, 2012, and 2013 Texas 200
1952 Beetle Boat Swan Catboat
Early Rhodes 19
1973 Mariner 2+2, #2607 - Completed 2014, 2015 and 2016 Texas 200
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
Fleet 135; Canyon Lake, Texas
jeadstx

Postby sailor54 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:33 pm

Thanks for the advice. I know what needs to happen which makes it easier to figure out the how.
sailor54

Postby sailor54 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:39 pm

I got the casting out of the mast. It just needed a little nudge. I think I'll replace the bolts before I put it back together.
Again, thanks for the advice. I'm a Sunfish sailor. To me, this is a big boat.
Pete
sailor54

Postby Skippa » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:11 pm

It's the time of the year that I will be hauling my DS II out of the water and as I get older I am giving more thought to installing the hinge / tabernacle. I have resisted this thought for 5 years mostly because I am not fond of the look of it. I can not deny that stepping the mast would be much easier with the hinge.
I am looking for advice from those who have installed one themselves. I imagine I have to remove a small section of the spar where I make the cut to compensate for the height of the hinge assembly? Is there any advantage to keeping the cut as close to the partners as possible or perhaps a few inches higher to allow room on the lower section for boom vang attachment?
Screws or rivits? Hacksaw or power saw (with appropriate disc)
I did a search using "tabernacle" and found lots of discussion but didn't see anything about installing one.
Thanks for any information, Still not sure I am going to do it this year but I know I am getting close to it.
Skippa

Postby DigitalMechanic » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:38 am

Skippa wrote:It's the time of the year that I will be hauling my DS II out of the water and as I get older I am giving more thought to installing the hinge / tabernacle. I have resisted this thought for 5 years mostly because I am not fond of the look of it. I can not deny that stepping the mast would be much easier with the hinge.
I am looking for advice from those who have installed one themselves. I imagine I have to remove a small section of the spar where I make the cut to compensate for the height of the hinge assembly? Is there any advantage to keeping the cut as close to the partners as possible or perhaps a few inches higher to allow room on the lower section for boom vang attachment?
Screws or rivits? Hacksaw or power saw (with appropriate disc)
I did a search using "tabernacle" and found lots of discussion but didn't see anything about installing one.
Thanks for any information, Still not sure I am going to do it this year but I know I am getting close to it.

As for cutting the mast, I have had to removed damaged ends from mine after a de-masting to repair. I used a metal cutting blade in a chop saw. Gives a perfect cut ;) I don't think I trust my hand to provide that level of precision with a hack saw :D

My tabernacle sits 2-3 inches above the cuddy deck opening (partners). I think that the exact height will vary from boat to boat, and there is not a precise height. I think you will just want enough room to put an eye strap on the mast below the tabernacle for the boom vang to attach to.

The mast steps are bolted to the tabernacle hinges (mine have 4 bolts for some reason, but I think I usually see 2). Then the mast steps are tapped and screwed into the ends of the mast where you made the cut. I used 4 screws on mine. 2 o'clock, 4 o'clock, 8 o'clock, 10 o'clock... you get the idea...

The hardest part is making sure that you get the mast steps lined up just so on the tabernacle hinges, so that the mast track does not favor one side of the boat or the other. I had a bit of trial and error before I got it lined up where I wanted it.
DigitalMechanic

Postby Wgfi » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:09 am

I want to put a hinged tabernacle on my 1970 DS1. I have a Procter tapered mast. I am looking for advice. The D&R tabernacle castings do not appear to match my mast section. Dwyer has one that looks very simple to instal that does not require cast steps. Has anyone used the Dwyer? My thoughts are to use the cut off part of the mast in the original tabernacle as a compression post below the cuddy roof and instal the hinged tabernacle flush with the roof outside.
Wgfi

Postby GreenLake » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:52 pm

One alternative is to not cut your mast, but add a hing for raising to the deck. Obviously, the mast has to eventually slide down, so it becomes a sleeve. I inherited a contraption like that from the previous owner and it works quite well. I like the fact that once the mast is up, it stays up unaided while I attach the stays.

For reference, see here: https://forum.daysailer.org/greenlake/d ... ising.html

Note, that page also discusses a tripod. While that tripod certainly works well, I found it unnecessary and it takes a bit longer to set up, although using some quick-connect to the chainplates would speed things up.

It's a matter of technique and practice. As long as I stay in shape, or sail frequently enough, I have no difficulties raising the mast singled handed (using the sleeve to provide a hinge and at the end, dropping it through the sleeve to the mast step). At the beginning of the season, I may ask the crew to come up on the deck and help.

I recommend the tripod to anyone with a weak back; I'm keeping mine around - who knows when I might need it.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Next

Return to Rigging