Split across collision window

Moderator: GreenLake

Split across collision window

Postby GreenLake » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:05 am

Got a split across the collision window on an old-ish jib.

Any ideas for an inexpensive, but at least moderately workable/durable fix for this?
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Re: Split across collision window

Postby FloridaTom » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:13 am

Other than replacing the window, which I gather you don't want to do, you could try UV stable greenhouse tape :

https://www.amazon.com/Patco-5067-53-Gr ... house+tape

It might work for a while - Mixed reviews though, for greenhouses anyway ..........
FloridaTom

Postby Solarwinds » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:52 am

I haven't tried it, but Gorilla products are good:
http://www.gorillatough.com/gorilla-cle ... An-e8P8HAQ
Solarwinds

Postby GreenLake » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:44 pm

I'll probably opt for one of the tapes as the sail is not in a state that would warrant replacing the window. This is the jib to which I had to add a leech line to stop the leech from fluttering; while that worked, the leech is now hooked.

If I had a suitable sewing machine, I might have attempted something like sowing a strip of sailcloth across the split. That would definitely hold.

However, I wonder whether the fact that the window split in the first place indicates that the plastic has reached an age where it is becoming brittle.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby FloridaTom » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:09 pm

I think the jib is trying to tell you something ......
FloridaTom

Postby GreenLake » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:51 pm

It's been whispering to me for a while...

I've known for a while that I want to replace it "before long", but it looks like it's moved up the deadline :)

Still, I'll need the temporary patch until new sails are actually in hand.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby TIM WEBB » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:25 am

With a sewing machine, I'd say remove the window and replace with a patch of sailcloth. IMHO, the window is useless anyway. W/o a sewing machine, your options are fairly limited. Those windows are usually made of Eisenglass (sp?), which even when brittle will usually at least accept a needle hole without splitting even more, so you might be able to hand stitch it closed? Am currently helping a buddy repair a dodger for a bigger boat, and we're doing similar at least until he can replace. If all else fails: zip ties and duck tape! ;-P
Tim Webb
1979 DS2 10099 The Red Witch
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Postby GreenLake » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:58 pm

Zip ties and Duck //// Gorilla tape.

But, I actually disagree on the matter of the window. When you share the lake with about a hundred other boats for a beer can race, that window makes a difference. When you cruise all day and never meet another boat, the story is different. I've done both, but recently, more of the former.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby TIM WEBB » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:02 pm

On The Red Witch, the jib window just seemed to be too small and too low. I know there was some recent discussion about allowing larger windows in the class measurement rules. On the RS22 the window is *slightly* more useful size/position-wise, but so crazed and yellowed (read "old"!) that it's difficult to even see what's on the other side ...
Tim Webb
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Postby GreenLake » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:31 pm

Other than the split (in high winds with halyard and sheet having come loose for a while, so flogging), the window on mine has held up fine for almost nine years. It's still clear (no crazing) and hardly any scratches.

I never had an issue with its position. It's situated so that when I sit on the rail, I can view traffic without having to duck under the boom.

I also do not know whether the class rules limit the position. The text from the 2012 handbook simply says: "Two windows each in the mainsail and in the jib are permitted." That seems to leave the size and positioning to the sailmaker.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby TIM WEBB » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:22 am

I think the discussion about the jib window was whether one large one should be permitted, but I digress: how do you plan to fix yours?
Tim Webb
TIM WEBB

Postby GreenLake » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:46 am

I used some Gorilla clear repair tape. May not be as UV resistant as the Greenhouse tape suggested by Tom, but that wouldn't be my main concern; my sails live in the dark, most of the time. So I went with what I could lay my hands on quickly.

The hold is tenacious, question is whether one layer of tape on each side is strong enough to hold up (esp. w/ flexing along the line of the split).

Wind forecast is even stronger than last weekend, so a test may have to wait another week.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby TIM WEBB » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:26 am

Maybe you could build up layers that overlap and spread out the load, for a bit more holding power?
Tim Webb
TIM WEBB

Postby GreenLake » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:57 pm

Update: after two days out with moderate winds, we had another day of (relatively) high winds, although the scary forecast wasn't matched by what we found on the water.

The repair seems to hold up fine (we also set a reef in the main before setting out, avoiding any lengthy periods with the jib not trimmed).

I simply ran one layer of tape on either side of the window along the split. The tape shows no sign of letting go anywhere, and it's nicely invisible, except where I trapped some bubbles. If it turns out that it won't hold across the split due to whatever bending happens there, then the next thing would be to double up the tape. It's pretty supple, though, and not at all crinkly like packing tape.

Curiously, when I put the tape away after making the repair, I found I already owned a roll :oops:

(Can't remember what I used it for.)
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby GreenLake » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:58 pm

PS: all of this just to get the sails to last until the new ones get here, or, also, so I'd have something to use as spares.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Sails