Spinnaker

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Spinnaker

Postby Ed » Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:40 pm

Have a 1982 DS2 in the Finger Lakes of New York that is not rigged for a spinnaker. Where does one attach the necessary hardware to set this up? Furthermore, would an asymmetrical spinnaker be better? Is it allowed in class racing?
Thanks for your help.
Ed :wink:
Ed
Ed

spinnaker information

Postby Roger » Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:03 pm

go to daysailer association above and from the drop down menu select 'handbook', then part 3 specs and measurements, and go to page 9 of the pfd manual, where it indicates where to mount the spkr halyard top block and pole ring.

http://forum.daysailer.org/pdf/dsbylaw3.pdf

Also check this site for at least four articles on spinnaker rigging information:

http://www.bobhunkins.com/mt-archives/c ... icles.html

As long as your spnkr is attached and launched within these guidelines, you are race legal.

I am not able to answer to the asymetrical question. I'll leave that to others.
Roger

Postby jpclowes » Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:44 am

I believe that the shape of the spinnaker is dictated by the class association, and the one shape we use is symmetrical. However it would be interesting to see how it works in non-class racing.
J .P. Clowes
Eastern Great Lakes Regional V.P.
DSI 14083
jpclowes

Spinnaker

Postby Ed » Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:04 pm

Thanks for your help. The articles should help. Seems like the best thing to do is find a used sail to keep the price down. But I do want to keep up with the rest of the faster boats as best as I can. :)
Ed
Ed

Return to Day Sailer II Only