Track Stop For Boom

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Re: Track Stop For Boom

Postby DigitalMechanic » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:03 am

You are not slow DM, but I think a bit of terminology clarification may be in order here. Normally, one would set the boom downhaul stop cleat, the one that has the horn cleat screwed into the tube that rides in the mast slot, at the highest position one can for best headroom, while being able to raise the main fully and get good luff tension. Doesn't matter whether you raise the main first, then push the boom down and cleat it off as GL does, or cleat off first then raise the main as I do. This is the "set and forget" boom DH stop position, at least until you get new sails!

Knurled round knob or lever type track stops can be used for any number of purposes, including, but not limited to, holding sail slugs above the slot opening in the absence of a mast gate, or holding the gooseneck up higher when the main is not raised, be that for more headroom while motoring, or for deploying a boom tent, etc. It would be impractical to use the horn/tube DH cleat for this purpose.

Or, if one is a serious racer, one prolly has a fixed gooseneck, and doesn't care about all of this nonsense! ;-P

Thanks for the clarification Tim! I have been calling that system with the downhaul line to tighten the main on the horn cleat a "Cunningham" (though it technically is probably not, but "Cunningham" is fun to say, so it has stuck). I usually pull it tight after first raising the main. After that, I pretty much forget about it like you said.
DigitalMechanic

Postby GreenLake » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:06 pm

Cunningham is indeed a fun term, but it refers to a line through a cringle in the sail a few inches above the boom. You use it to apply additional luff tension, usually when there's a bit more wind...

I have both a boom downhaul and a cunningham. I will adjust the latter (well, sometimes), but always pull the former tight. As Tim writes: "set and forget".
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby DigitalMechanic » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:32 pm

Ye ol' Cunningham lol. I am not that trifty, nor does my sail have a cunning hole (if that is even a proper term). But I have seen someone else wrap it through the sail. I never tried it, as it seems like the tension on the boom from the downhaul is good enough, but then again what do I know, lol. I need to get off the forum and go sailing. Can't wait for the beautiful day tomorrow is supposed to bring. St. Johns here I come!
DigitalMechanic

Postby TIM WEBB » Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:25 am

jeadstx wrote:I looked a Home Depot today for nylon type thumb screws without any luck (at least at my local store). I'm going to check out Tractor Supply. There is an Ace Hardware about 15 miles from my house, for some reason they seem to have an extensive and varied amount of fasteners.

John

FWIW, our local, family owned Ace Hardware in town has a MUCH better selection of SS hardware, as well as other hard to find stuff, than our Lowes does, and I make sure to tell them both about that when I'm looking! Lowes = lots of empty drawers. We are also lucky enough to have a TS nearby, and they are an awesome source for trailer stuff! ;-P

I'm kinda to the point where the stuff I'm looking for (like these nylon thumb screws) is so specialized, I'd just rather look online. The time saved is well worth the shipping.
Tim Webb
1979 DS2 10099 The Red Witch
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Postby GreenLake » Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:13 am

Local hardware store here stocks all sorts of unusual fasteners, including bronze screws. Deliberate choice on their part. And one I reward them for with my business.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby jeadstx » Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:18 am

I was racing my Day Sailer II on Saturday. The marina provided a slip for overnight. I'll be going Sunday to get my boat and I thought I'd check out the Ace Hardware along the way to see what they have. I'll let you know if I find anything.

John
1976 Day Sailer II, #8075 - Completed the 2011, 2012, and 2013 Texas 200
1952 Beetle Boat Swan Catboat
Early Rhodes 19
1973 Mariner 2+2, #2607 - Completed 2014, 2015 and 2016 Texas 200
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
Fleet 135; Canyon Lake, Texas
jeadstx

Postby GreenLake » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:11 am

Not all local hardware stores are created equal. Some are more special.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby TIM WEBB » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:22 am

Growing up, we had an old, independent Mom & Pop hardware store nearby. When you walked in, the place looked like a disaster area, or like an old garage or barn work area, with stuff just all over the place. But you could tell the proprietor what you were looking for, and not only were they likely to have it no matter how odd an item, they would also know exactly where it was! ;-P
Tim Webb
1979 DS2 10099 The Red Witch
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Postby SUNBIRD » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:32 pm

We used a stop like the one pictured to hold the gooseneck slider up on our Old CAL 21, it worked fine for at least 25 years. On my DS II I installed a screw in the mast groove about 1-2" below the height where the gooseneck slider sits when the sail is raised and downhaul is tensioned. this stops the gooseneck from sliding all the way down and resting on the downhaul cleat. The opening in the slot on my mast is about 3" or more above the point where the gooseneck is with the sail raised.
Rod Johnson, "SUNBIRD"
1979 DS II, # 10201
SUNBIRD

Postby jeadstx » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:45 am

I found 1/2" long 1/4-20 nylon slotted screws at Ace Hardware for $0.33 each. Picked up 3. The slotted head could have a piece epoxied to it to make it like a thumb screw, but I think I'm going to file some notches around the head to be able to hand tighten it. I'll attach my "lanyard" at the top of the threaded part.

When I first moved to the town I live in, we had a hardware store similar to what Tim describes. I found all sorts of things there that weren't common. I still miss that store.

John
1976 Day Sailer II, #8075 - Completed the 2011, 2012, and 2013 Texas 200
1952 Beetle Boat Swan Catboat
Early Rhodes 19
1973 Mariner 2+2, #2607 - Completed 2014, 2015 and 2016 Texas 200
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
Fleet 135; Canyon Lake, Texas
jeadstx

Previous

Return to Day Sailer II Only