Rigging specs turnbuckle size

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Rigging specs turnbuckle size

Postby Jimb » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:39 am

Hi, new daysailer II owner here.
Can someone please tell me what size
the forestay and shroud turnbuckles are.
I'm desperately trying to get underway
for the 4th.
Thanks jimb
Jimb

Re: Rigging specs turnbuckle size

Postby DigitalMechanic » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:53 am

Welcome to the forum! And congrats on your new boat!

I am not sure exactly what info you are looking for? The diameters of mine are 4.5" x 0.5"

DR Marine is the official place to get all things O'Day. Rudy Nickerson is the guy you want to talk to. He will have all the information you need. His number is 508-644-3001.

With that said, I am not sure I would try and attach the existing wire rigging to a new turnbuckle. I think you would need a machine or very special tool to make that happen, and be safe? Rudy sells updated rigging with the turnbuckles already mated to the shrouds/stays. Just attach them to the chainplates and mast tangs, tension/tune the rig, and go.... This was the first thing I did when I got my boat, and then I replaced all the rivets in the mast and boom. The original rivets on the boat were aluminum, and in poor condition. I learned the hard way, by losing my mast on the water. An old aluminum rivet popped out on the starboard tang in a mild gust, and over the mast went. I was able to recover it and nobody got hurt, but the next day I was riveting away, lol.

Here is the page on rigging at DR Marine...

http://www.drmarine.com/products.asp?cat=121

The original shrouds/stays on the Daysailer were 3/32". Rudy sells the replacements at 1/8th inch, so they are beefier if you would like to pul a little more tension on them. I run my sidestays at around 180-200lbs and puts the forestay at 110-120lbs. However, some racing tuning guides suggest up to 400lbs (but I would not try that on my boat).

My recommendation would be to get a complete updated set here...

http://www.drmarine.com/proddetail.asp?prod=DS800A

I know it seems a little expensive, but I am pretty sure that it will come out cheaper (and safer) than trying to piece mail things (like a turnbuckle from West Marine to the existing shrouds/stays). Also, it will be an official (tested tried and true) replacement from an O'Day dealer, which many of us are using on our boats. The setup with the O'Day parts should take you about 30 minutes. Preliminary tuning will probably take another hour or two with the boat setup on the trailer. Then you can sail and make more adjustments later. The important part is that you will be sailing at this point ;)

There are more than one out there, but below is the tuning guide I followed... I found it to be the easiest to follow. I believe Dave Keran (pro racer) made it for North Sails. Like I said, I did to use the 300lbs of tension he recommended for racing. I have mine at around 180-200lbs on the stays and leeward one always go slack (as recommended for cruising).

http://www.onedesign.com/Portals/106/docs/Tuning%20Guides/north-daysailer-tuningguide.pdf

Honestly, I rigged my boat up on the trailer, and tuned on the trailer... Went sailing and never adjusted anything again. Maybe things just worked out for me on that one???

DR Marine is located in Massachusetts, and to get parts to me in Florida, it usually takes 2 days. I am not sure of your locale, but Rudy will generally get parts out same day (if you call him and let him know you need them quickly). He is a really nice guy, and I have talked to him dozens of times, even when I am not buying something ;) He is full of great advice.

Good luck and again welcome to the forum!
DigitalMechanic

Return to Day Sailer II Only