Centerboard Uphaul Cable Length ?

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Centerboard Uphaul Cable Length ?

Postby FloridaTom » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:22 pm

I'm in the middle of rigging the centerboard on my boat, with the board already bolted in place.
The line and cable are through the fairleads on the trunk, and I was just getting ready to set the Nicopress sleeve,
and I realized I forgot to measure and mark the uphaul cable when I fastened it on the board - Duh .....

So, can someone tell me the correct uphaul cable length, from the trunk to the end of it's thimble, with the board fully up ?
I don't want to make it too short .

Thanks
FloridaTom

Re: Centerboard Uphaul Cable Length ?

Postby TIM WEBB » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:27 pm

15-1/2" from inside swage to inside swage, but that probably doesn't do you any good if it's already through the trunk donuts. What you could do is, with the CB all the way down, just set the length so the swage is just forward of the uphaul donut.
Tim Webb
1979 DS2 10099 The Red Witch
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Postby FloridaTom » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:28 am

Thanks Tim -
I knew about the 15½", but the boat's on the trailer, and the board hits the axle - I really don't want to take it off again :-/
I was just hoping someone could do a quick measurement on their boat - Hoping for a shortcut around my own stupidity, I guess.

EDIT :
OK, I know all you guys have been frantically shoveling snow off your boats, to provide this info ........
But I figured it out - I slid a piece of shrink tubing over the cable until it hit the board swage, marked it at the trunk, and did the math.
Back to your regular programming ............
FloridaTom

Postby TIM WEBB » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:15 am

Brilliant!
Tim Webb
1979 DS2 10099 The Red Witch
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Return to Day Sailer II Only