Rudder Downhaul and Uphaul Rigging (again)

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Rudder Downhaul and Uphaul Rigging (again)

Postby itguy1010 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:55 am

I know this has been covered in discussion but I can't seem to find what I'm looking for.

I want to add these lines for my rudder and I understand about the auto-release cleat for the downhaul. What I'd really like to see are photos of how others have actually done this. Specifically I'm interested in seeing the attachment points on the rudder itself and the routing of the lines through or around the rudder head. I currently just use a decent amount of pivot bolt tension to keep it down or up but its a pain to force the rudder back down by hand when it rides back up. Loosening this pivot tension and using the lines seems like the way to go. We're talking about a stock DSII with no tiller tamer. Just a nice telescoping extension on the tiller.

Please post pics or links to galleries if I'm missing them.

As always, thanks in advance for the help.

Eric
Eric White
The "Jackie Beck"
73 DSII #6428
itguy1010

Re: Rudder Downhaul and Uphaul Rigging (again)

Postby FloridaTom » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:50 am

I'm sure a lot of folks will chime in on this, as there are a bunch of different set ups out there.
But here's what I did - I wanted to keep it as simple as possible, so I just used some small cheek blocks, and ran the lines as shown.
The down haul is just run through the lower pintle - Note that these are NOT the stock rudder hardware, so YMMV.
I made large dia. plastic washers to fill the clearance between the rudder blade and head, so I don't think the lines will wedge there.
One thing on that nice break-away cleat -
If you mount it on a nicely varnished tiller, beware that if it trips hard, it will snap over with enough force to put a nice little divot in your varnish :-(
I made a little stainless steel plate to mount it on, after the fact ........
rudder lines 1.jpg
rudder lines 1.jpg (240.27 KiB) Viewed 6492 times

On the up haul, I did the same thing with the cheek block, but just ran the line over the outside of the rudder head as you see.
I may add a small fairlead, just to keep the line in the "groove" - We shall see .....
Note - I cut away a little of the top rear of the rudder blade, to get it to lift just a bit higher, for beaching / launching purposes.
So again, YMMV
rudderlines2.jpg
rudderlines2.jpg (241.39 KiB) Viewed 6492 times

The cheek blocks worked nicely for me, as the top mounting holes share the same screw as the tiller stop - Once again, not a stock item.
So, I'm not saying that this stuff is THE way to go - Just what I did
FloridaTom

Postby itguy1010 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:38 am

Perfect! This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you.

Is that 3/16 Sta-Set? Its a very clean looking mod and clarifies what I need to do. Excellent photos too. Ok, this is off topic but which swim ladder is that? It looks like the one I was looking at to add this Spring (Five Oceans).

Thanks again.

Eric
Eric White
The "Jackie Beck"
73 DSII #6428
itguy1010

Postby TIM WEBB » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:04 pm

Eric, I've got some photos in my gallery of how I did it. Similar to what FloridaTom did. Hope they help too.
Tim Webb
1979 DS2 10099 The Red Witch
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Postby GreenLake » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:32 pm

TIM WEBB wrote:Eric, I've got some photos in my gallery of how I did it. Similar to what FloridaTom did. Hope they help too.

I like the routing above below the tiller as in this picture from you:

BTW, it occurred to me, if the uphaul were to terminate in an eye, it could be secured around a pin (like a partially exposed screw). There's probably never a need to secure it at intermediate positions and really no need for a extra tightness at the raised position, so it wouldn't be necessary to use an actual cleat. That would also present a neater appearance as there wouldn't be any loose tail.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby TIM WEBB » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:12 pm

Thx GL, the setup always worked well, both with the stock head, and the one I built shown there.

I think you're right about not needing an uphaul cleat, as I don't recall ever needing to raise it partially. In fact, with the head I built, friction alone held it up.
Tim Webb
1979 DS2 10099 The Red Witch
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Postby FloridaTom » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:46 am

itguy1010 wrote:Is that 3/16 Sta-Set? .

Eric

I doubt it's Sta-Set - It is decent 3/16" polyester though - I was "gifted" a couple 600 yd spools of it, many years ago, by another sailmaker.
I use it for all kinds of things - It makes a most excellent clothesline :mrgreen:

The swim ladder - I don't recall who I actually bought it from
I think it is similar to one Five Oceans sells - It's a 2 step ladder - I just shopped E-Bay for the best price.
FloridaTom

Postby Alan » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:08 am

Good-looking boat, Tom.

In the second photo I see two inspection ports. I'm guessing the upper one is for access to install a turning block for the starboard spinnaker sheet. What's the lower one for?
Alan

Postby FloridaTom » Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:09 pm

Uh Oh - Thread drift .......
The upper ports were for access to the rotten plywood backing for the stern cleats -
They obviously could also be for any other purpose - blocks, etc
The lower ones were to access the interior of the transom, to mount outboard bracket, and swim ladder - Everything is through-bolted.
The plywood inside the transom was also history, for the most part - But THAT'S a whole 'nuther story .......
FloridaTom

Return to Day Sailer II Only