How fast is your DS II?

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

How fast is your DS II?

Postby smitrock63 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:23 pm

Very curious. I'm new to all of this, so, wondering what others are doing. I think I had her around 5 knots last time I took her out. I feel there's a lot more available there. I was in a 10 K wind; gusting to almost 20 at times.

Thanks,
smitrock63

Re: How fast is your DS II?

Postby GreenLake » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:02 pm

The DSII is a tad "slower" than the original DS1, a difference that you will notice only in a race, where fractions of a knot do matter. (Btw, a knot comes to about 1.15 mph). So, for non-racers there's really no difference in how fast a DSII or DS1 will sail.

That said, the hull speed (in knots) for a displacement boat of the size of the DS comes to 1.34 times it's waterline length in feet, or a bit over 5 knots. However, for light boats that are very beamy, that traditional formula underestimates the hull speed a bit, so I'd say up to around 6 knots is still displacement mode.

In the right conditions, the DS can plane, not upwind, but on a reach. That should let you get to even higher speeds. Also possible if you surf a wave going downwind. I've heard people talking of having reached 11 knots (or mph? never know what people set their GPS to).

For the conditions you report, I would have expected that you should be pushing closer to 6knots in the gusts. However, for the 10 kt winds 5 knots is what you'd expect. Next time you are out, try to get the boat on a plane in these conditions - if the gusts last long enough (and you can hike hard enough to not have to spill all by letting out your main) then you might be able to do that.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Re: How fast is your DS II?

Postby smitrock63 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:05 pm

Thank you so much. I will try.
smitrock63

Return to Day Sailer II Only