Trailer Bunks

Regarding the DS3 only. Note that the DS3 is not a class-legal Day Sailer.

Moderator: GreenLake

Trailer Bunks

Postby SCsailing » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:26 pm

Has anyone used Composite wood (the type you can purchase at Home Depot for decks) in lieu of treated wood for their trailer bunks? I have been told that using the Composite wood would not require them to be covered with carpet. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
SCsailing

Postby algonquin » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:37 pm

Although I have not personally used composite wood on the bunks I believe that composites would not tend to damage your boat as much as regular wood. Partly because of the material and partly because the edges are usually rounded over. However what I do like about some carpet over any bunk is it does offer better protection for your hull by providing some cushion. Especially when traveling over rough surfaces. Brad
"Feather" DS1 #818
algonquin

composites do not have the flexibility of wood

Postby Roger » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:07 am

I tested out a 2 x 6 composite plank and found that unsupported for more than 2 feet it could easily break with me just putting the weight of my foot and stepping up on it. When I asked at home depot they suggested supporting every 16" to 24" as per manufacturers recommendations.... not good enough for bunks unfortunately, unless you backed it with a wood 2 x 6 which is an option to make it hull friendly.

Instead of carpet on top however, there is a material that you can attach to the top which is made of thin plastic called trailer glide slicks (available a west marine) in 24" lengths
Roger

Re: composites do not have the flexibility of wood

Postby algonquin » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:09 am

Roger wrote:Instead of carpet on top however, there is a material that you can attach to the top which is made of thin plastic called trailer glide slicks (available a west marine) in 24" lengths

Great stuff but be careful. :wink:

Trailer glides can be a bit too slippery. Keep a line on the boat. Especially when you are ready to launch. I have seen more than a few boats with glides come off the trailer unexpectedly when being backed down my local boat ramp. A few didn’t make it to the water when it happened. :shock: Brad
"Feather" DS1 #818
algonquin

Postby SCsailing » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:37 pm

Thanks everone for the information. The tralier glides sound like what I am looking for.
SCsailing

Return to Day Sailer III Only