The 2013 New England DaySailer Meet Up

Discussion of events open to DaySailers

Moderator: GreenLake

Re: The 2013 New England DaySailer Meet Up

Postby K.C. Walker » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:44 am

Triathjohn,

That's quite the trek! It would be great to have you come over. I'm sure there would be plenty for you to check out on other boats and talk with folks about set up.

My boat came to me with the tabernacle hinge and I most often set up by myself. There are advantages to having a keel stepped mast in that you have more control over mast prebend. This is very important for racing and top performance. For cruising, I have improvised a tilting mast base that allows me to adjust the mast bend, somewhat like Thistles do when shimming their mast base. You can check this out if you come over. It gives me a lot of control over sail power.

I have not lined up crew yet, though I expect that I will. My wife is not THAT much of a sailor, so she's not interested. These boats single hand well, if they're set up right. I like to sail a lot and I find that having to line up crew to go sailing is sometimes an impediment, so if I can't line up crew, I just go sailing anyway.
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby Moose » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:14 am

If I can't make it with my boat I could crew with someone.
Moose

Postby RhodySail » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:04 pm

Triathjohn,

I'm pretty sure I'm going to have 2 people on board with me otherwise I'd say hop on but crews are finiky so I'll probably be able to let you know the week before.

As far as hotels go we're close to the Providence Airport (actually located in Warwick) there are some good options around there. From there its an easy ride into Providence or East Greenwich for dinner, etc.

Otherwise the City of Providence has a lot of hotels but I would call ahead to make sure you can park the trailer somewhere before booking.

I hope you and your wife decide to make the trip down
RhodySail

Postby Thomasjbrothersjr » Wed May 08, 2013 11:28 pm

Picked up my chart tonight... Hope you can all join us.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (185.61 KiB) Viewed 35133 times
"It's not the towering sail, but the unseen wind that moves the ship"

1983 O'Day Daysailer II "KALEIGH B"
Thomasjbrothersjr

Postby K.C. Walker » Thu May 09, 2013 7:48 am

Thomas, good reminder, I need to pick up a chart.

I have friends that used to sail out of Newport and absolutely love going over to Prudence. They now keep their boat at Noank Connecticut, at the mouth of the Mystic River. They miss going over to Prudence so much that they're planning to sail from Noank to Prudence and anchor there for a week this August. I also recently met a fellow that moors his catboat over in Warren Rhode Island, at the mouth of the Warren River and says he absolutely loves going over to Prudence, as well.

I'm really looking forward to this expedition!
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby Thomasjbrothersjr » Mon May 13, 2013 9:47 pm

I have never been down here before, nice description.

http://www.pointseast.com/template.shtm ... tyle=story
Attachments
image.jpg
Prudence island lighthouse
image.jpg (49.99 KiB) Viewed 35118 times

Thomasjbrothersjr

Postby RhodySail » Thu May 16, 2013 11:15 am

For any of who might be on the fence take a look at some of the information below and get off the fence!

A few informational notes I hope will be helpful;

LAUNCHING & BOAT RAMP:
Because wind is typically scarce in the early hours getting underway much before 11am is probably not worth the effort. That also gives us a reasonable amount of time to rig up, launch and get moving.
The ramp has ample parking and set-up space but can get crowded on summer weekends There are 2 ramps however one is typically quite sandy thus most boats prefer to use the other which is grooved concrete. If you have 4X4 the sandy ramp will be a quick and easy option for you.
The dock is for loading/unloading but there is a sandy beach to either side we can beach ourselves on to wait or help others get set up.
I admittedly don't do much trailering but I'm thinking if we're all there by 10am we should mostly be in the water and ready to roll by 11. I suggest everyone park on the far end of the lot to get set up so we can get set up together and steal new ideas off each other.

SAILING ROUTE/CONDITIONS
The channel leaving Warwick Cove is rather narrow and faces due south, which is typically dead into the wind.. An 11am departure gives us a reasonably high tide so we can escape the confines of the channel fairly quickly and begin our tacks out.
That said, auxiliary power is helpful leaving this cove whether it be oars or engine. Depending on the conditions I'll be able to recommend the easiest way out the morning of.
18-22 MPH winds are common and can kick up quite a chop. It makes for fun sailing but be sure to have a bailer as you'll most certainly be getting some water over the rails.
Getting around Prudence and back will be about 21 miles. I will be setting up a cookout/campfire site on the Northwest Point of Patience Island which is about 3 miles from the ramp.

COOKOUT
Approach the Northwest point of Patience Island from the North. There is a gentle-sloping rocky beach to pull up on. So long as you are in front of the beach there are no hazards on the approach. Typically a strong southerly makes it easy to anchor off the beach. Be sure to wear some type of shoes to walk up and around the beach.
Beyond the beach is a flat area we have a make-shift grill and fire pit set up on. I'll drop off charcoal, firewood, and some food and beer in the morning. In the spirit of keeping things simple I'm thinking burgers, dogs, sausages, corn, etc. With some luck there will be plenty of quahogs to dig up and throw on the grill as well but certainly feel free to bring whatever you might desire after a long sail.
Sunset is quite late that day but be mindful that the wind comes down about 5:00 pm with the temperature and we'll be about 3 miles out so again some type of auxiliary power is recommended if you're not camping.

CAMPING:
The area around the fire pit is flat and rather comfortable place to pitch a tent. Stay out of the tall grass to avoid ticks. The point faces due west and provides spectacular sunsets so I certainly recommend sticking around if you're up for it. (nav lights also help).

I'm getting excited and I hope everyone can make it. If you know anyone else with a trailerable boat certainly encourage them to join our merry band. Please let me know if you have any other logistical questions/requests or recommendations.

Happy compounding & waxing...looking forward to seeing you all soon.
RhodySail

Postby Moose » Thu May 16, 2013 12:45 pm

Just talked to my sailing buddy. We will be coming with the daysailer3.
Moose

Postby Moose » Thu May 16, 2013 12:56 pm

Also, seems like planning to have 7 boats set-up and launched in an hour is a real stretch. There will probably be other boats launching and hauling at the same time too. I'm planning to get there around 9. I'd rather hangout in the parking lot and talk to some of you guys or practice tacking near the ramp than play catch-up for the rest of the day.

Just my $0.02

Can't wait to finally meet some of you!
Moose

Postby GreenLake » Thu May 16, 2013 1:32 pm

Wish you lots of fun!

As for launching seven boats in an hour from the same ramp you should see what happens when we have our weekly races. Somehow it gets sorted in much less time than that, even though there are tons of other boats (not to mention amphibious vessels) that also want to launch from what is a single ramp with no real space to set up. I think you guys will be fine.

(Now imagine the same scene when the other 6 boats are ready to launch and you can picture our race nights :) )
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby RhodySail » Fri May 17, 2013 1:32 pm

Hi Moose...like I say I'm too experience w. trailer sailing so that's probably not a bad idea.

Also PRIZES.....besides pride, I'm thinking we might want to bestow something on the first person to make it to the beach besides a cold beer. Chime in if you have any thoughts.
RhodySail

Postby Moose » Fri May 17, 2013 3:20 pm

You also get to light the grill! :wink:
Moose

Postby triathjohn » Tue May 28, 2013 12:18 pm

I haven't seen any postings lately. I assume the meet-up is still on for June 15th?
1984 O'Day (Spindrift) Daysailer I 17'
# 11730
triathjohn

Postby Thomasjbrothersjr » Tue May 28, 2013 12:22 pm

I still plan on being there...have you received an email from Kim yet? It gives a real good rundown of how she thinks the day should go.

Tbone

Thomasjbrothersjr

Postby Thomasjbrothersjr » Tue May 28, 2013 12:25 pm

Not Kim but David Johnson... Sorry

Thomasjbrothersjr

PreviousNext

Return to Events