Ella has finally gone sailing!

Moderator: GreenLake

Ella has finally gone sailing!

Postby TIM WEBB » Tue May 28, 2013 11:50 pm

It finally happened: conditions were just right to take our 2-year-old sailing. We'd been waiting until winds and water were perfect, as the last thing we wanted was to scare her. Well, the last 2 Saturdays on Lake Dias were just that, perfect, at least in the hour or two before sunset, so we bundled Ella up in her vest and plopped her on the boat. Started on a broad reach, then eased around into a close reach, in about 5 kts of wind. She took all the motions of the boat in stride, no problems, and took an immediate interest in the tiller, so who was I to deny the princess her helm? She took it in hand without a second thought, and was concentrating so hard! Eyes outta the boat too, so hopefully we have a budding young DS sailor on our hands? And the best news of all: now my wife will be able to sail with me more often as well ... :D

Last edited by TIM WEBB on Wed May 29, 2013 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Webb
1979 DS2 10099 The Red Witch
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Re: Ella has finally gone sailing!

Postby K.C. Walker » Wed May 29, 2013 7:49 am

Well done Tim! Choosing the ideal conditions to not scare her was very wise. I recall taking my daughter out for the first time, many years ago now, in what I thought was ideal conditions, but not so. That boat had plenty of ballast and I'm guessing that it was moderate air. She kept wailing that the boat was tipping!
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby kokko » Wed May 29, 2013 8:21 am

That is a million dollar photo!
DS1 Truelove
kokko

Postby TIM WEBB » Wed May 29, 2013 10:31 am

Thanks guys! Yeah, it was really important to us that she have a really good first experience sailing. It's the same with swimming: she was in the pool less than a month after birth, and loves that too. We wanted to make sure she developed a healthy respect for, and not fear of, the water, and she's definitely a water girlie!

My wife took the pic - she's the artistic one in the family. She was even once an affiliated artist/photographer at Joshua Tree National Park ... 8)
Tim Webb
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Postby GreenLake » Wed May 29, 2013 11:57 am

Great photo!

When they are very young, and when your cuddy is nice and accessible, like it is on our DS1, then we found they tend to be drawn naturally to that location, where immediately a nest of life jackets and spare lines or clothes will be set up and the young sailor will rest...

~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby TIM WEBB » Wed May 29, 2013 9:44 pm

Awwww ... another great photo GL!

All cozy and comfy ...

As a kid, I was whatever the opposite of claustrophobic is: loved climbing into/under/between tight spaces. "Forts" made from cardboard boxes, the forward upper overhang bunk in my parents' RV, etc. Not so with Ella I guess: she has shown no interest whatsoever in climbing into the cuddy to nap or anything else. She wants to be back where the action is! But, I'm sure that could/will change when we start getting her out for more than the hour or so at a time that we have so far ... ?
Tim Webb
TIM WEBB

Postby GreenLake » Thu May 30, 2013 1:26 am

Their personalities are so different.

I've had literally over a dozen different kids at all ages on my DS, and not two of them have shown the same attitude or level of interest. They are all doing their own thing.

Popular activities include trailing something on long line, losing toys overboard, asking the captain to intercept stuff floating on the water, sleeping in the cuddy, building forts in the cuddy, feeling sick in the cuddy, sitting on the foredeck, holding the tiller, asking intelligent questions, taking photos of buoys, taking photos of their toes, having fun being moveable ballast, operating the jib sheet, learning to hike, yelling "starboard", being lost in a book ... the list is endless.

Some are motivated and interested and capable of contributing actively to the limit of their ability from a very young age. Some like the social aspect of going out on the water. Some are more adventurous, some more cautious. And some grow steadily and slowly and pay attention while some seem to be born with an innate "boat sense".

Having Ella grow up around boats will be just as much an adventure for you as for her!

While you can attempt to present only "perfect" conditions, you won't always succeed. Just recently we had a wonderful forecast with sunny skies and a gentle breeze for a short weekday evening race on a friend's keelboat. A couple of us brought kids to have a great time and enjoy the sunset. Out of nowhere, the wind was suddenly gusting at 20 knots, there was chop, the boat heeled and hobby horsed, and the kids were tossed from side to side below, while some where tossing their cookies.

Afterwards, all of them declared they would do it again...
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby TIM WEBB » Thu May 30, 2013 10:03 pm

Yeah, my only other experience with kids on sailboats was way back in high school at a day camp where I volunteered to teach the kids how to sail. Nevermind that I had no experience at all sailing! The boats were Sunfish, and I took a look at them and decided it couldn't be that hard to figure it out. The kids (mostly 5th and 6th graders) ended up teaching me more than I taught them! :D

Our intention with Ella is to always let her lead, never force her to "want" to sail, and then let things take their course from there. It all starts with baby steps ... 8)
Tim Webb
TIM WEBB

Too cool for school

Postby Breakin Wind » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:23 pm

After a great deal of dock sailing (with and without sails), my grandson decided he was ready to take on the lake this weekend, so we set out (ala trolling motor) for a cruise.

Here he is showing off his "casual side" steering with the his toes (with the rudder up, and the trolling motor doing the real work).
Sails under their covers for this trip out, although he does enjoy releasing the mainsheet and letting the wind move the boom around before he hauls it in again.
Maybe we'll unfurl the jib next time out and just let it blow us around a bit.

I have to ease into this more for Grandma's concerns than for Cylis...

Scott
Breakin Wind

Postby TIM WEBB » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:21 pm

That is one laid-back future sailor! 8)
Tim Webb
TIM WEBB

Postby talbot » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:36 pm

This is great. Ella may or may not take to sailing. She may look with envy at kids on jet skis, and ask when you are going to get a power boat.

Doesn't matter. She'll remember sailing with you for the rest of her life.
talbot

Postby TIM WEBB » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:54 pm

Sure hope so! 8)
Tim Webb
TIM WEBB

Postby TIM WEBB » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:15 pm

Oh, I think I forgot to post this one. Ella sails again! Gawd it was hot that day ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzQx_8Ql0pM
Tim Webb
TIM WEBB

Postby GreenLake » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:35 pm

A very classy sailor!
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby TIM WEBB » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:20 pm

Yeah - she must get that from her Momma! 8)
Tim Webb
TIM WEBB

Next

Return to Seamanship and boat handling