What fleet is in Ontario?

Moderator: GreenLake

What fleet is in Ontario?

Postby rossinvrland » Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:59 am

Hi,
I just looked at the listing at http://forum.daysailer.org/dsa_fleets.php & from what I can tell, there's no contact in the Ontario-Quebec region. Does that mean that everyone up here is an independent?
I'm new to the O'Day DS, but I'm loving every minute I spend on it! Not ready for racing for a year or two, but I'd be interested to know if anyone else is nearby.
Ross
rossinvrland

Postby Marv Irwin » Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:06 pm

Hello Ross, ( in VR land)

Greetings from Sudbury. Lake Ramsey had a very active fleet many years ago, but the boats have slowly been decommissioned, sold, etc. My Daysailer was once part of the Lake Ramsey group. I used to live in Big Bay Point so I'm familiar with Lake Simcoe.......it will be a great lake for daysailing.....Good luck in your search for Daysailer colleagues in Southern Ontario.

Marv (In Northern Ontario)
Marv
Marv Irwin

Postby jpclowes » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:22 am

Never really thought of Barre as Southern Ontario, but maybe thats just me. :D I think there are a few active DS'ers in Canandagua, NY. That might not be too far if you include a trip on the Toronto-Rochester Fast Ferry. If there is anything I can do from afar, (Ohio technically borders Ontario after all, even if that border is in the middle of Lake Erie,) let me know!
J .P. Clowes
Eastern Great Lakes Regional V.P.
DSI 14083
jpclowes

Postby rossinvrland » Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:28 pm

Marv,
Perhaps one day I'll see you up there! I was planning a trip to the North Channel at least....one day. Lake Ramsey is a great size; though easy to get lost in if you're not careful, I imagine. You have a nice playground there.
I had heard about a group of 'trailer sailors' that had put together a 50 boat or so event near Spanish this past summer. In the event that there's not an active DS fleet around, maybe they're something to look into for a big event.
JP,
Of course Barrie is in Southern Ontario. The halfway point on a map would even put Sudbury in the southern half. OK, that dig was just for Marv. ;-)
Thanks for the info on the state-side. I will try to keep my eyes peeled in the future for events that I can get to. Even a once a year DS regatta would be nice to attend. But I need to find a suitable crew & upgrade my pillow-cases-for-sails! The darn things must be original!!
If there's anyone else out there that's local, join in.
Ross
rossinvrland

Postby jpclowes » Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:29 am

Ross
I guess to me Southern Ontario is Pelee Island :wink: Next year's North American Championship is going to be in LaCrosse Wisconsin, which in the whole scheme of things isn't that far for you... We usually have a regatta at the end of May in Columbus too, (Ok that is probably kind of far for a weekend trip, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway.)

So I have to ask, is your sailing season longer than a week up there? :P
J .P. Clowes
Eastern Great Lakes Regional V.P.
DSI 14083
jpclowes

Postby rossinvrland » Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:30 pm

JP,
Glad to see a keen sense of humour! I guess that you need that when you sail on that little Hoover Reservoir. ;-)
Yes, we're still sailing here. That's one of the things that I like best of a trailerable boat: I don't need to end the season on the day the yacht club rents the boat lift. I plan to sail until there's slush on the water. Which should get me into December. Makes for a nippy outing...but it's a long winter with no sails aloft!
I plan to do a first this weekend: some river sailing. It's at a wider, slower part of a river, so it should be fun. I look forward to experiencing the effects of current & the wind as it is channeled around the bends, etc.
Thanks for the heads-up on the USA events. I'll need to get in touch with some part of the organization to get registered. Then I need to figure out the measurement part of the deal. Is there a guest racer status for someone that doesn't plan on having an overall standings rating? What I previously wrote about the sails is very true, so my boat is not a competitive contender whatsover. I just would like some exposure before increasing my level of being a serious racer.
Ross
a DS1 that I'll get the number from one of these days... :-)
rossinvrland

Postby seward » Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:02 am

Hi,

I just bought the O'Day DaySailor. I live in Belleville but am using the boat on the Ottawa River at Fort William, across from CFB Petawawa. I'd be most interested to learn if there is a racing or other type of regatta in Ontario for this boat.

Tony Seward
seward

Return to Fleets/Locations