Punch list for new owners

Moderator: GreenLake

Punch list for new owners

Postby kokko » Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:03 pm

Over on the ds1 forum we welcomed Ben and his new ds1. It seems to me that we should put a punch list of things for our new owners to look for and repair. Starts with the structural and then the cosmetic.

When i brought Truelove home, the first things was to rid it of the 40 or so wasp nests. Back then, it was hard to know where to start. I remember splashing her just to make certain she would float. She did. After that I may not have tackled projects in any order.

So for our newest member Ben, here is where I would start. While on the hard, rig the boat
  1. Get the mast up and the boom on.
  2. Inspects the standing rigging. Inspect the chain plates.
  3. See if the halyards run free
  4. Inspect the boom and gooseneck.
  5. Inspect the running rigging.
  6. Bend on the sails and hoist to make certain they run free, and inspect the sails
  7. Put the rudder and tiller on and inspect the gudgeons and pintles
  8. Drop the CB. Chances are the square hole is rounded.
  9. Repair CB and rudder
  10. Remove Styrofoam from forward flotation and cockpit flotation tanks.
  11. Replace and install inspection ports.
Not sure if this is the right order, but it is a start.
DS1 Truelove
kokko

Re: Punch list for new owners

Postby GreenLake » Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:41 pm

Nice list. I took the liberty of inserting a few format codes.
I would not forget the trailer (don't think there are many DS's that don't have one).

1. Inspect the bunks and rollers (check for dents in hull from sitting on trailer)
  2. Replace by wider bunks (usually)
  3. Pop wheels and inspect, better replace, bearings
  4. Fit bearing buddies
  5. Inspect wiring and lights, replace with LEDs for piece of mind
  6. Inspect winch and wire. (Replace by Amsteel rope, if frayed)
  7. Inspect bow eye

There are some items on the hull that are specific to DS1 and DSII, don't know how to best list those. The square/round CB hole is a DS1 specific item, so I'm repeating it here.

DS1 specific:
  1. Inspect CB handle seal (replace washer if old)
  2. Restore hole in CB to square (if round)
  3. Inspect carlins (behind coaming under side deck) for rot
  4. Inspect transom (for rotted wood reinforcement)
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Re: Punch list for new owners

Postby talbot » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:10 am

Before doing any major repairs or modifications, I would sail the boat in moderate conditions close enough to shore that if you find you have a major leak, you know you will get home. On the first few trips, take a pad of paper along and write down everything that seems like it could be improved. That avoids putting a lot of time into things that are not critical, and it will quickly reveal things that don't work or that you want to change for any reason. Sure, you will put the boat in the water and retrieve it a few times, but that is important, too. Greenlake is right about trailer issues. The first things I had to fix on my current boat were the keel rollers and winch placement, a need that only became apparent when we went to retrieve the boat after its maiden voyage with us.
talbot

Return to Miscellaneous