Language barrier

Moderator: GreenLake

Language barrier

Postby tinafred » Fri May 13, 2016 9:47 pm

New DS 3 owner attempting to learn the new language of sailorese. So far while drifting through the web site reading old entries I use another iPad on Wikipedia to figure out what I am reading. Does anyone have a better faster way to search through the old files while trying to work on current problems/expand my boating vocabulary? Thanks for any assistance.
tinafred

Re: Language barrier

Postby TIM WEBB » Fri May 13, 2016 10:03 pm

Here's a good way:

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=3439
Tim Webb
1979 DS2 10099 The Red Witch
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Postby tinafred » Fri May 13, 2016 11:06 pm

Thank you, this forum is truly helpful.
tinafred

Postby GreenLake » Sun May 15, 2016 12:12 am

If you like some winter reading, there are a number of books on how to sail that cover a lot of good terminology as well. Might be worthwhile to check your library, or the internet for a better one and read it, even if you have half-forgotten memories of earlier days spent sailing...

The next step up would be the Oxford Companion of the Sea. It's a dictionary/small encyclopedia on all things nautical. It's a bit British at times, and covers a lot of "tall ship" language. However, this is a "dictionary" that you can read cover to cover (there are enough small articles on interesting topics so it's not just dry definitions). Invaluable should you also be a fan of Cpt Hornblower or Patrick O'Brian's excellent Aubrey-Maturin series, starting with "Master and Commander."
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby kokko » Thu May 19, 2016 5:52 pm

You can't top The Sailor's Word Book by Admiral Smyth, and it's free
DS1 Truelove
kokko

Return to Miscellaneous