Impromptu racing

Moderator: GreenLake

Impromptu racing

Postby K.C. Walker » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:33 pm

From another thread:

Bob Hunkins wrote: Of course, when you get several together on the water, a race breaks out.

So, do all sailors do this? I mean, do you find yourself trimming your sails more carefully, shifting your weight, etc., when you see a challenge or someone challenges you? I find myself doing this quite regularly. If I'm out for a daysail and might be casually sailing, if a challenge arises I'm always more attuned to how the boat is performing.

KC
K.C. Walker

Postby PG » Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:26 pm

For sure, although it's hard to know how much is competitive instinct (go faster than the next guy) and how much it's just wanting to be sure I'm getting the most out of my own boat. That said, I don't think I'm cut out for racing. This summer our local sailing club had its annual regatta open to all boats on the lake, and I participated for the first time. My knowledge of the rules was limited to a quick perusal of the two-page photocopy handed out before the race. As an aside, I occasionally visit the Sailing Anarchy web site, which seems to be chock full of hard core racer types with excess testoserone, and I would chuckle while reading their accounts and think, how can they take it so seriously? Of course when I participated in our own little regatta, I suddenly understood. One boat avoided starting line altogether but since we're just in it for fun no one really said anything. Then as we neared a mark some guy came out of nowhere and said that I had to give way, so I did. Then later a couple of women on a Rhodes 19 went past me but their boom on a reach was knocking into my shroud, and being none the wiser after my experience at the last mark, I moved out of their way thinking it was my job to do so (later found out it wasn't) and had to bite my lip hard.
I like to go sailing to relax.
PG

Postby GreenLake » Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:55 pm

KC, I agree with you, it's totally a natural law - everytime two boats are on nearly the same course, you can see the looks that measure: why are they going faster and the clandestine tug on the sheets to get a bit better performance.

That kind of "racing", though, is like a match race without the tactical element. So it's a pure, "what can I get out of my boat" type action, with the other boat serving as a convenient way to measure my own skills (or lack thereof).

In your typical impromptu racing scenario, there's no muscling your way through a large field, or intricate tactical games when rounding a mark. All stuff that I tend to find less interesting, but for that reason also stuff that I haven't experienced first hand. If I had, I strongly suspect my experiences would be similar to what PG reports. 8)

Lack of suitable crew means that I probably won't attempt to try out anything beyond impromptu races.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Jett » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:13 pm

I raced a little a number of years ago on a friend's J24. Even then I was in my 50s and still trying to learn (as I continue today) more about sailing. I thought it would be fun, but frankly, the yelling, stress and sheer bravado (flying a spinnaker in over 25 knots nearly sending me flying) was anything but fun at times. Then I realized I was getting away from work which was pretty stressful only to land on a boat that was even more so on weekends. It didn't take me long to give that up.

Now the Wed. night races are about all that interest me for racing, if I decide to, and my wife (who usually skippers and sails a pretty good course) and I watch for birds about as much as we do other boats when out on the course. So far, we haven't come in last...and we have fun.
Jett Conner
Jett

Postby GreenLake » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:55 pm

The Tuesday night races at my favorite lake are an absolute zoo with over 100 boats... so far, I've limited my involvement to occasional watching from high ground.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby algonquin » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:56 am

I find it pretty hard not to tighten the lines a little when the opportunity presents itself. 8) 8)

I have thought about joining a local regatta on East Grand Lake.“There is a “ run what you brung”sailing group that holds three races a summer. Each followed with a BBQ and some merriment. They use a handicap system and points to determine the ultimate summer winner. I know there is a DSII and a Rhodes 19 that races with them. Most of the boats are in the twenty foot range. I believe the entire fleet is about 12-15 boats. Last summers results showed the DSII and the Rhodes did very well against the larger craft. Hope to join them next summer. Brad
"Feather" DS1 #818
algonquin

Postby jpclowes » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:10 am

My Dad's sailing buddy, when I was growing up, always used to say "When two vessels meet on the open water there will always be a race, even if one of them doesn't know it." I think there is a lot of truth to that saying.

I enjoy racing my DS. It is a good medium between the hard core racers and slow crusing. I describe it to friends by saying it is a bit like racing a mini-van, at least compared to some of the other boats at our club, but it is still fun. The DS is a good family oriented class with just the right amount of competitive spirit, at least in my opinion.
J .P. Clowes
Eastern Great Lakes Regional V.P.
DSI 14083
jpclowes

Postby mistermoon » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:09 pm

I intend to race my DS next year in some handicap races against a mixed fleet that usually consists of a couple of Catalina, Cal, and Hunter 22s, along with a couple of MacGregor 22s and 26s. Other than a 16' Apollo centerboarder, I expect to be the smallest boat. Most of the boats have PY numbers in 95-98 range. The DS base PY rates at 98.5. Based on some impromptu racing, it looks like the DS has a pretty favorable rating.

Also if anyone wants to do some impromptu point-to-point racing this spring you should bring your DS down to the Florida 120 May 13-16 from Josephine, AL to Navarre, FL and back. While it's not technically a race, I'm sure we'll all informally treat it as such. It would be cool to have another DS to pace ourselves against.
mistermoon

Postby persephone » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:35 pm

I'm guilty of this. One time while still in my old Javelin a new boat appeared on the lake where I sailed then, so naturally I started tweaking and tuning trying to catch it. It was small, a little more sail than the Jav, but I thought I should be able to catch him (I had new sails after all and his looked pretty faded). Sadly that little boat handed me my transom on a bronze platter on every point of the breeze and twice on an upwind leg. If I had known "FJ' was flying junior (the trainer class for the old flying dutchman Olympic class boats) I wouldn't have embarrassed myself so.
"When two vessels meet on the open water there will always be a race, even if one of them doesn't know it."
This probably goes back to the dawn of sailing. If it wasn't a fisherman or merchant trying to beat his competitor in for a better cut of the money it was Naval Captains maneuvering for the weather gauge (in peace and war time alike) to be in the better position to launch or run away from an attack. Why do we do it now? Like many thing we sailors do I chalk it up to tradition. Whatever the reason I find it exhilarating even when I loose handily.
Geoff Plante, former DS1 owner
1950(ish) vintage National One Design.
persephone

Postby K.C. Walker » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:27 pm

persephone wrote: Whatever the reason I find it exhilarating even when I loose handily.

Absolutely! I am constantly amazed that I can be thrilled by "racing" at 5 kn, give or take.

The Stonington Small Boat Association has a Wednesday night series in the Stonington harbor. It's a very quirky race. It's open to everyone and there's not quite a handicap system, as far as I can tell. 70+ boats start on any given Wednesday and they are broken up into the small boats (under 10 feet), the medium boats (10 to 15 feet) and the big boats (15 to 20 feet) +2 fleets JY 15s.

To find out how the race is going to be run that night you sail by the committee boat, tell them your name and ask them which start? Is it clockwise or counterclockwise? How many times around? Long course or short course? Most of course is sailed through the moorings so a lot of the time you can't see the next mark. Most of the time the sea breeze has gone by the time the race starts so they're usually a pretty slow affair. Last summer was my 1st try at racing and I think I'll try again next summer. The buffet after is fun with lots of good sailing talk.

KC
K.C. Walker

Postby ctenidae » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:10 am

jpclowes wrote:My Dad's sailing buddy, when I was growing up, always used to say "When two vessels meet on the open water there will always be a race, even if one of them doesn't know it." I think there is a lot of truth to that saying.

I'd amend that saying- When two vessels meet on the open water, there will always be a race, even if neither knows that both know it. When you tighten that sheet and check the wind, you're not alone.
ctenidae

Postby persephone » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:32 pm

Bob Hunkins wrote:

Poignant and thought provoking as always Bob! :wink:
Just light hearted ribbing, not trying to be disrespectful or sarcastic.
Geoff Plante, former DS1 owner
1950(ish) vintage National One Design.
persephone

Postby Bob Hunkins » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:46 am

Had some technical difficulty. My internet service went down right after I saw nothing I wrote had been posted. It Figures.
Bob Hunkins
#11750, "Surprise"
San Leon, Texas
Bob Hunkins
Site Admin

Return to Racing/Performance