Mid-boom traveler set up

Moderator: GreenLake

Mid-boom traveler set up

Postby Wyatt » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:20 am

After hearing the pros and cons and reading Ted Dickson's account of the NACR, I've decided to try a mid-boom traveler set up on my "stock" DS1. After much head-scratching and catalog reading, I've bought the Harken components (which weren't cheap) and I think it will work pretty well. But I am hoping for a few pointers on installation.

First-- for the new swivel base, the mounting holes don't line up with the stock pattern on the centerboard housing. There appears to be a metal plate into which the existing screws are threaded. Can I drill and tap the new screws, or is it better to through-bolt?

Second-- I have a stock Dwyer boom with a riveted attachment point for the mainsheet block. Now that I'm moving to mid-boom is this attachment point going to handle the additional load?

Regards,

Wyatt
DS1 2922
Wyatt

Postby algonquin » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:46 pm

As far as your 1st question goes my personal preference would be to use the factory swivel setup. If it is similar to what I have on my early DSI it would be more than sufficient to handle the loads of your mid boom sheeting modification. If that doesn’t appeal to your situation I would go to the drill and tap plan and avoid any unnecessary dangers that can result from exposed bolts and nuts below the mounting plate.

For question 2 I would drill out the rivets on the existing attachment bail and put a stainless bolt through the boom and round off the end of the bolt so it is even with the fastening nut. Brad
"Feather" DS1 #818
algonquin

Mid-boom traveler set up

Postby Wyatt » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:02 am

Brad-- thanks. I will definitely go with your suggestion for point number 2. As for the swivel base, the cam cleats are shot on the original and I'd have to cut off the pulley to put on the new ratcheting one. Think I"ll go with the drill and tap plan.

Regards,

Wyatt
DS1 2922
Wyatt

Return to Racing/Performance