why is my boat so light??

Moderator: GreenLake

why is my boat so light??

Postby hhrussell » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:31 pm

I had my DS1 weighed for the DS Nationals and it was 50 lbs light! I had to place two 25 lbs weights near the mast step. I'm wondering how my boat could be so light?? I have all similar equipment to other racing boats. While my hull doesn't seem thin I'm wondering if I could use this weight advantage to add some rigidity to the hull. Any ideas why my boat is so light and any suggestions as to what I could do to improve my boat??
Thanks!
hhrussell

Postby GreenLake » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:00 pm

Looks like you have room to attempt a "core project" (see K.C.'s thread under this name in Repairs and Improvements). That would give you a lot of extra stiffness and is possibly a better way to spend some of those pounds.

If the crew who put together your boat "forgot" to add some glass, you could have a slightly weaker hull. If they merely managed to save some resin, you might indeed be no worse off (assuming you have no voids anywhere). I'm assuming that the production techniques normally used end up with a laminate that, if anything, has too much resin, and not too little... but, what do I know.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Racing/Performance