Tension on the side stays

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Tension on the side stays

Postby psh » Sun May 09, 2010 10:49 pm

I am in need of a little help.
I have just purchased a Day sailor II and am not sure how tight the tension should be on the stays. I have read on other sights that the tension should be hand tightened. My previous boat (O'day 23) I used to use a tension gauge, the requirements on the gauge would tighten it way past hand tightened.
Which is correct?
psh

Postby jdubes » Mon May 10, 2010 7:48 am

I've often thought about this too, but after reading the thread below i just don't have the time. I'd be interested in any thoughts also. I've attached a link to the Doyle Sails site that talks about tuning a Daysailer.

http://www.doylesails.com/daysailer-tuning.htm
Last edited by jdubes on Mon May 10, 2010 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jdubes

Postby pjr » Mon May 10, 2010 6:23 pm

Are you still using the original standing rigging? If so, the stay adjusters are numerically indexed. That said, I set the head stay at 6 to 6.5 and the shrouds at 4 or so.
pjr

hand tight

Postby Roger » Mon May 10, 2010 11:23 pm

The rig on this boat is quite simple so hand tight is good enough. Tension beyond that will put undue downward pressure on the mast step.

Another way to measure the rig tension with this boat is that the leeward shroud should be 'just slack' when on a reach.
Roger

Shroud Tension

Postby Woden » Sat May 15, 2010 9:51 pm

I use a Loos gage to tension my shrouds. The starboard and port shrouds are at 300 lbs and the head stay is at 250 lbs. I got these tensions fron a North Sales guide years ago and was posted by a winning day sailer racer. I have used this tension for 3 years with out problems. This is also in line with the recomendations on the Loos gage. In my opinion when the shrouds are too loose and you tack to windward you will get shock loading on the rigging.

Pete
Pete
Woden

Postby talbot » Wed May 19, 2010 12:22 am

FYI, there is another thread on this same topic within the forum. See:

http://forum.daysailer.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2315

--Talbot
talbot

Return to Day Sailer II Only